Chapter 11: Poison

Start from the beginning

"What is going on here?" asked Obanai. 

They both look and see him standing in front of them. "Nothing. This doesn't involve you," Y/N answered before walking away. 

He walked past the Serpent Pillar and went on his own to train. He enters the middle of a forest in a nice open and grassy area. "Perfect," he thought before readying his sword. "Flame Breathing, Second Form: Rising Scorching Sun!!" 

He performed the move but failed in getting any results out of it. "Damn it!" he said before pulling out a book about Flame Breathing. "What did I get wrong?" 

"Everything," a male voice answered. 

"Huh?" he said before turning around to see Obanai. "What are you doing here?" 

"I don't want to be here either. I'm only here at Mitsuri's request," he informed him. 

"Well, leave me alone. I don't need help from someone like you," Y/N replied. "Flame Breathing, Second Forming, Rising Scorching Sun!" 

He tries to perform the action but Obanai grabs his left wrist. "I understand that you want to kill Akaza with the same Breath as Rengoku's, right?" the Snake Hashira asked him. 

"I do," he answered while struggling to get out of his grasp. 

Obanai kicks Y/N several feet away. Y/N skips across the ground as if he was a peddle being skipped around a pond. He eventually gets on his knees and looks at the Serpent Pillar while breathing heavily. 

"That'll never happen," Obanai told him. "Because you are not Rengoku." 

"What are you talking about?" Y/N asked.

"You are not Rengoku. He was better than you in every single way. You are not the warrior that he was. You are simply a boy with too much anger," Obanai bluntly told him. 

"I don't care what you think!!!" Y/N screamed before running at him. "Flame Breathing, First Form: Unknowing Fire!!" 

He charges at Obanai at great speed but doesn't no flames are generated. Obanai dodges it effortlessly and smacks him away. "This is a perfect example. If that was Rengoku, I would have had to try to dodge the attack," Obanai told him. 

"Just shut up!!" Y/N screamed before going back in. "Third Formn: Blazing Universe!!" He performs the action but no flames appear. "Damn it!!!"

Obanai slaps him and causes blood to drip out of his nose. Y/N falls to his knees while holding his hand under his nose to catch the blood. "This is your problem," Obanai said while looking down at him. Y/N looks up to hear "you're trying to be Rengoku. You'll never be like him. There is only one Rengoku and you can't be like him." 

"I get it. I understand that I'm not him and I should give up on trying to learn Flame Breathing," Y/N replied. 

Obanai kneels. "I'm not saying that," Obanai told him. 

"Huh?!" responded Y/N. "You just said that I'm not like him!" 

"I did but I didn't say that you couldn't learn Flame Breathing. While I do think that you're stupid for learning it but you can learn it," Obanai explained. 

"Thanks?" Y/N said very confusedly. 

"What I believe is stopping you from learning it is because of your rage," Obanai said. "Your rage is unrefined. It's wild and blinding. You're learning Flame Breathing just so you can use it to get revenge. You're not taking your time to learn it. You just expect it come naturally because of your rage. Instead, use your rage to guide you instead of blinding you."