Chapter 2

Maimi took a deep breath of fresh, spring air as she started walking down the worn dirt trail. She'd been looking for a way to spend the afternoon and Aiko had recommended taking a walk to explore the island. Maimi had turned on her phone to the maps setting and set off. "The Jungle of Lost Souls..." she mused aloud. "Sounds festive." As she went on, the path quickly became narrower and harder to decipher from the bamboo forest until the green bamboo shoots were only interrupted by shafts of glowing sunlight interspersed with an occasional shrub. Maimi took a quick glance at her phone and looked at the time. "3:00.  I'd better get going home." she muttered, also seeing her phone battery at 20%. She turned around to go back the way she came, but her foot caught on a vine and she fell hard. "OOOooFf!" she wheezed as she hit the ground. She carefully got to her knees, gauging her pain and mentally checking to see how badly she was injured. After a few seconds she reached the conclusion that nothing was broken and she'd just gotten the wind knocked out of her. Dusting off her (now dirt coated) knees, she began to get to her feet. Then she saw something that stopped her dead in her tracks. One of the shorter bamboo shoots was rusted. Maimi frowned. Last time she checked, bamboo didn't rust. She got back down on her knees to inspect it. Near the base, there was a design carved into the... metal? It looked like a wide letter "U" with the edges curved up and in with a bar running through the middle with those edges curved out.

 metal? It looked like a wide letter "U" with the edges curved up and in with a bar running through the middle with those edges curved out

Maimi ran her fingers over the strange symbol. "Maybe it's a knife that got stuck in the ground." she thought. She grasped the small shoot and pulled it. Suddenly, the ground beneath her gave way and she began a quick downward decent. "WhoooooOOOOooaaA!!!" Maimi yelled. The sharp drop almost immediately turned into a slide. About fifteen seconds later, the slide ended and Maimi was shot out of the dark tube and slid across the floor. Her entrance to whatever room she had entered must have triggered some kind of motion detecting light bulb, because the room was flooded with soft light. Maimi got slowly to her feet, wondering where she could be. She seemed to be in some kind of underground bunker. "Hello? Is any one here?" she called. There was an incredible training course to her left and to her right was another room. She ran over to the training equipment to investigate it. There were weights, a jungle gym, uneven bars, a rack of weapons, hanging rings, and an obstacle course. And all of the equipment was covered in a thick layer of dust. Maimi ran a finger down the flat of a sword's blade, marveling at the amount of dust her finger was picking up and how beautiful the sword was underneath the thick layer of grime. Then she remembered the other room. She left the training equipment to see what was in the other room. As she neared the doorway, she gasped in shock. Inside was a huge, black, pegasus. Maimi approached it reverently. It was the most beautiful mech she had ever seen. Strangely enough though, there wasn't as much dust on the mech as the training equipment. Abruptly, Maimi remembered that she was who-knows-how-many feet under ground with probably no way out. She immediately left her inspection of the mech and ran to search the room for some kind of door. She quickly found one, next to a corkboard memory wall with a desk and stool in front of it. She opened the door, but to her eternal disappointment it was a closet. She saw a vacuum sealed bag on a shelf with something black inside. Perfectly preserved was some sort of costume. It had a black body suit, and a lighter black armored tunic with silver clasps down the front that were the same shape as the design on the "bamboo shoot" outside. Also on the shelf was a beautiful silver diadem and silver shoulder armor that had a grotesque face etched into it. She gently folded the costume and placed it back in it's bag. After returning it to the shelf, she returned to her quest of looking for a exit. As Maimi left the closet, the corkboard memory wall caught her eye. Push-pinned to the wall were newspaper clippings about someone named the "Lady Iron Dragon", the famous villain Garmadon, and someone called "The Green Ninja". Also pinned to the wall were photographs of the woman in the newspaper clippings holding a baby boy. His eyes were a happy green and his hair was a light blonde. The woman was beautiful. She had deep green eyes and ginger orange hair. For some reason she couldn't explain, Maimi felt like she knew these people even though she'd never met them. "Wait a sec..." she mused aloud. "If the dates on these pictures are accurate, the latest was taken around sixteen years ago... The kid in these photos could go to my high school! I've got to figure this out... Oh, right." she said remembering. "I've got to get out of here first." Maimi kept walking around, feeling the walls for any kind of hinge, handle, or even a crack. Persistence paid off, and she soon found herself climbing a winding staircase upwards. She soon reached the top of the staircase and she pushed the ceiling up until a section of it lifted up to let her out into the cool spring afternoon. Maimi replaced the piece of jungle floor until it wasn't visible anymore and stepped away from it. "Wow. I just found a superhero's underground bunker." she said breathlessly. She jogged home, smiling the entire way.