12. Brotherly advice

Joey and Seb ended up spending four days in Ireland. Four days that Joey spent going in and out of the hospital, every single one without a further update on Liam's health. Going to Germany was, in her opinion, the best she could do to get her mind away from it so, in the early hours of Friday, she had driven back to the airport and they had taken a private flight to Frankfurt, where Seb had organised for Fabian to pick them up.

Joey walked out of the airport in the gloom of a rainy German day and spotted the young Vettel standing by his car, smiling. She rushed towards him to hug him.

'You got older' he teased her, with his classic grin that resembled his older brother's.

'And you got meaner' she frowned.

'Sorry to hear about Liam' he said, after having hugged his brother too. 'How is he?'

'Stable. But not great' she sighed. 'But at least I got to see him, I chat to him... not that it makes a difference for him, I guess, but it did for me' She tried to smile. 'Anyways, not here to put a downer on Germany! Let's go, Fabi. You promised me some dinner'

'Well, dad's cooking tomorrow, so I guess I could take you out tonight.' He stopped and looked up to his brother in the rear view mirror and added something in German, earning a killing glance from Sebastian.

'What did you just say to piss your brother off? You know I don't like when you speak fast.' Joey asked, curious.

'Nothing, nothing. I'll tell you tonight.' He smirked.

The drive to Heppenheim was over in a flash, Joey had spent most of the journey looking out of the window, reminiscing about her time spent in the country. Once Fabian had dropped them off and had told Joey he would pick her up around 7, the older Vettel had given her a tour of the house.

Joey looked around the property in awe. Seb had an amazing taste in interior design and, even if this was a second home, one could see the love he had put in designing and picking the furniture. The guest bedroom, where Joey would stay, was full of trophies and memorabilia from Seb's younger karting days. Joey smiled at pictures of Seb with other known faces of motorsports all those years ago.

'Did you know, back then?' She asked. Seb gave her a questioning look. 'Did you think you'd get to this point one day?' She explained. 'Did you know or think that you and Lewis would one day be both champions?' She pointed at the picture of the two young boys on a podium together.

'Well, you hope you will. Know it? Not really. Know I wanted it? Definitely. Is it not the same for you? Your grandad showed me all the pictures. We must have missed each other by not much, I saw you had a couple of podiums with Lewis'

'Of course he did' she chuckled. 'I always thought that if I were going anywhere, I'd have known it a long time ago. I guess I could have gone a different way, but yeah. No. I did not think one day I'd be in Formula1, neither I thought I could get any close to it. Yes, I raced with some known faces, and to be fair I've beaten Lewis a few times, I like to remind people that. But I guess you know it growing up, women are not easily welcomed. That's why I've always raced as Joey and not Josephine. Until I got boobs, it worked' she tried to joke.

Seb let out a chuckle. 'That sucks'

'That I've got boobs? Yeah they get in the way'

'No, no. Your boobs are great. I mean, boobs are great. I mean... fucking hell, Sebastian, get a grip.' He mumbled, blushing to the same colour of Ferrari. 'I meant.. it sucks you had to use a manly name to get through in motorsports, it shouldn't be this way.'

Joey laughed out loud at his embarrassment 'it's ok, can't say you men are subtle anyways.' She winked, making him go even redder.

'All right, I'm leaving this room and I'm going to hide until I forget what you just said' he stated. 'Let me know if you need anything'