Chapter 16- Leave

"(Y/n), wake up. Wake up, wake up, wake up!"

"Katie!" I said, startled awake. "What the hell is going on?"

"Something about the stables. Let's go!" Kate dragged me out of bed.

We ran into the stables, our winter stuff bundled around our bodies. I froze, seeing Santa and Mrs. Claus crotch over Dasher. Kate covered her mouth in shock, wrapping an arm around me for comfort. The ground shook like an earthquake until it stopped.

"Nick. It's him," Mrs. Claus said.

"The star!" Santa shouted in realization, running off.

I heard Dad talking to Santa, holding the bright star in his hand. Kate held my hand, squeezing it.

"Well, it did. She's very badly wounded!" Santa exclaimed, glaring at Dad.

"So, it was you." Mrs. Claus stepped forward.

"Hello, Mrs. Claus," Dad replied. "My apologies for any inconvenience."

"Inconvenience? Dasher is fighting for her life!" Mrs. Claus snapped. "Belsnickel, how could you?"

"That's Belsnickel, from the story," Jack realized.

"I knew I recognized him!" Kate said. "That's the guy who drove the shuttle back in Cancun."

"Yep. And I gotta thank you, Kate, because, without you, I could have never got back inside Santa's Village," Dad confirmed.

"That's Mrs. Claus's village to you," Jack snapped.

"That-That's not official," Santa stammered.

Dad sighed. "Well, folks, this little family reunion's been sweet, but it's time for me to leave."

"Not until that star is back on the tree." Santa stopped him.

"Agreed, but not this tree," Dad said. "This star's for my tree back at the South Pole. Ooh, it's gonna be a shiz. I am starting a new village. I can see it now. Belsnickel's Village."

"There's gonna be another village?" Jack questioned.

"You bet there is, Jack. And I'm gonna round up my own band of elves, and I'm gonna invent my own stuff, really cool stuff, that will make everybody forget that the North Pole and Santa Claus ever existed," Dad explained.

Santa chuckled. "Oh, here we go. Pout, pout, pout!"

"Whatever. I am taking the star to the South Pole so I can stop aging and buy some time to figure out a way to break this awful curse." Dad rolled his eyes.

"If it's so awful, why did you spend eight great years with me?" I questioned, stepping up so he could notice me. "Why did you marry Mom?"

"(Y/n)," Dad licked his lips nervously.

"Dad," I acknowledged. "This is what you've been planning? After everything you taught me, this is what you do? I thought you were dead! Mom thought you were dead!"

"She's the one who forced me to leave!" Dad retorted, making me stop.

"What?" I questioned.

Dad sighed. "Your mother found me working on a healing potion for you. You had the cold. She had known all along what I was, and she... snapped. She kicked me out, filed a divorce. Told you I was dead. That's why I gave you the locket around your neck."

I felt Mrs. Claus put a hand on my shoulder as a silent tear fell down my cheek. "And, now, I am tired of being a human!"

"Belsnickel, there's only one way to break the curse, and that's for you to make amends with (Y/n) and come back home to the village. Embrace your family. I know that deep down inside... it's what you want. You want to be a father figure in (Y/n)'s life. Just come back," Mrs. Claus said gently.

Dad hesitated. He looked conflicted before shouting, "Bah, humbug!"

I gasped in disbelief as Santa huffed. "You watch your mouth, young elf!"

Dad smirked, tossing the star up and down. Santa appeared behind him. Dad faced Santa when he turned. "Hi. Thank you." Santa took the star from him and walked away.

Dad pressed a button on a glove he had on. The star flew out of Santa's hands and into Dad's.

"How do you like my new gravity glove?" Dad questioned.

Santa chuckled. "Not bad, kid. But it's no match for real magic."

The star hovered between them, turning furiously from the magic and the glove. "Give it up, Bels."

"Not a chance. The only thing you ever cared about was your stupid holiday," Dad replied.

"That stupid holiday makes billions of people feel love and happiness," Santa retorted.

"Well, I'm about to change all of that," Dad said, his voice strained.

"Change, ha! You couldn't handle any of the little changes that were going on around here, so you ran away," Santa mocked.

"Because you spend every hour of every year getting ready for one lousy day," Dad snapped.

"A day that brings joy to children all over the world. And that will never change," Santa said confidently.

The star shook more violently as the two men used more force. Electricity crackled from the star. I turned, shielding the kids as the star exploded. The lights blew out in the village as an icy chill swept over us.

"Belsnickel, what have you done?" Mrs. Claus questioned.

Dad pressed something on his glove quickly. A drone hovered overhead. Dad grabbed onto it, flying away from us.

"This is... This is bad. Without the star, the North Pole, the village, Christmas itself is doomed!" Santa explained.

"Like, for this year?" Kate guessed.

"Like, forever," Mrs. Claus said quietly.

"You're right. This is bad," Jack agreed.

"But we can't let that happen," I cut in.

"Christmas must endure," Kate agreed.

Santa nodded. "To the stables."