Chapter 9- Human Helpers

We went through city to city, delivering presents in record time. Teddy and I took turns controlling the reins, each time more confident than the next. "All right, guys, this is it! Last city!"

We waited while Santa delivered presents. "Kate, (Y/n)! Send in the troops!"

"Guys, Santa needs you!" Kate called into the sack.

"Reporting for duty!" the elves said behind me, appearing on top of the presents.

The elves helped deliver presents as Kate called out names. She said something in Elvish speedily, making me pause and look at Kate proudly.

"Hey, Santa! I just spoke Elvish!" Kate said excitedly.

"Welcome to the club!" Santa cheered.

"Welcome, Katie Cat! Now, let's finish this!" I said determinedly.

"We did it!" Santa said after a moment.

We flew under the Golden State Bridge as Santa skimmed through the list. I laid my head on Teddy's shoulder, smiling at the sunrise in front of us.

"What's he doing?" Teddy called to Kate.

"His list. He's checking it twice." Kate smiled.

"What is this? Bjorn, I told you, no food or drinks in the sleigh!" Santa scolded.

"I can't help it, Santa. I just love my candy canes." Bjorn pouted.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"We missed one." Santa frowned. "Sanchez family, Mexico City! We got exactly nine seconds! Teddy, want me to take the-"

Teddy cut him off, emitting a scream from me as we went through the hole again. I wrapped my arms around Teddy, letting him cuddle me while controlling the sleigh. "There, on the corner!"

"There's no chimney!" I shouted.

"Well, sometimes you gotta improvise!" Santa shrugged, leaping out of the sleigh.

"How much time we got?" Kate asked.

"Three seconds," Teddy said as I took over the reins.

The timer beeped, and I heard church bells in the distance. I looked around worriedly.

"Where's Santa?" Katie asked.

"What's wrong?" Santa asked next to me.

"You did it!" I cheered in relief.

Santa laughed. "No. We did it! All the presents delivered in record time, and Christmas spirit is up to ninety-five percent. Yeah! Hey, hey! We gotta get back to your house before your mom does."

"Here," I said, holding out the reins to him.

"I think I kinda like sitting over here." Santa smiled.

I handed the reins to Teddy, smiling. He sent the reindeer off again.

It was snowing when we got back to Massachusetts. A nice, chilly wind blew over me, and I shivered in delight. We were home again.

"All right, now ease them down. Ease them down, that's it. Easy. All right, pick your spot. Let them down!" Santa laughed. "Perfect four-point landing! And we beat your mom home too!"

"That was awesome!" Teddy cheered.

"What was your favorite part?" Kate asked, climbing out of the sleigh.

"Easy! Riding the reindeer!" Teddy smiled, helping me jump down from the sleigh.

"Being in the North Pole!"

"The car chase with the cops!"

"Finding out a little more about myself," I added.

"You know, Santa? Hey, that was the best night of my whole life!" Kate said.

"Mine too," Teddy agreed.

"Oh, Christmas Eve is always the best night of my life. But now, it's time for me to go home," Santa said.

"Will we ever see you again?" I asked softly.

"Uh-uh. Not if I can help it. But in the future, if I ever need a few helpers... I know where to find the best I've ever had," Santa assured us.

He hugged the three of us. I smiled into his shoulder.

"Santa! Eh!" one elf said.

Santa spoke something in Elvish, which Kate translated for Teddy. "He said the best human helpers he's ever had."

"I expect to see your Spanish grades go up this year. Now that you've learned another language," Santa smiled at Kate.

"Oh, no," Kate said, realizing something.

"What?" Teddy questioned.

"We forgot to get Mom a present," Kate realized.

"Oh, gee. Well... Oh, that reminds me, though. Uh, something I want you to have." Santa took off his hat and placed it in Teddy's hands.

"Your hat?" Teddy questioned. "But... won't you need it to fly?"

"No, Teddy. I'm Santa Claus," Santa smiled, raising the sleigh in front of us.

"Wait, so, this whole night, anytime you wanted, you could've just-"

Santa cut me off by shushing me. "All right, now, I don't want any more people to see me, so..."

"Santa?" Kate said.

"Yeah?" Santa replied.

"Can you do it?" Kate asked.

Santa scoffed. "No way."

"Please?"

"Not happening."

"For me?"

"Kate!"

"Just this once," Kate begged.

"All right," Santa sighed. "Just this once. And just for you. Be good."

"We will," I replied.

Santa flew into the sleigh and flew off, rushing past us. "Ho ho ho! Merry Christmas!"

"He did it," Kate said, holding up the camcorder.

Teddy sighed after Santa disappeared. "That just really happened."

"Yep, and I've got it all on..." Kate trailed off, opening the tape compartment. "Oh, man! He took the tape."

"Did you really think he was gonna let us keep it?" Teddy questioned.

"Guess not, but... what if I forget everything that happened tonight?" Kate asked.

"We won't let you," I assured her.

"Katie Cat," Teddy teased.

"Thanks, Teddy Bear. Thanks, (n/n)," Kate smiled, jumping into my arms.

Mrs. Pierce's car pulled up, and we smiled at her. "What are you guys doing out here?" Mrs. Pierce asked.

"Waiting for you," Kate lied.

"What's that?" Mrs. Pierce noticed the hat.

"It was a—a gift from a friend," Teddy explained.

"Merry Christmas, guys!" Mrs. Pierce said, hugging the three of us.

"Merry Christmas."