Chapter 8- Saving Christmas

"Stop!" Kate screamed at the elves.

The elves paused. "He's with us," I nodded.

"Kate, (Y/n), are you okay?" Teddy asked, helping Kate out of the bag.

"Better than okay," I said, beaming as he picked me up, hugging me as he helped me down. "I have elf blood."

"What?" Teddy questioned, confused.

"I'm part elf, some way, somehow," I explained.

"And we brought help," Kate added.

"I can—I see that. Okay. Let's get the reindeer and the sleigh," Teddy instructed.

"The sleigh's busted," Kate reminded him.

"Right," Teddy realized.

"Can you guys fix it?" I asked the elves.

"Are you kidding?" the elves teased as they all pulled out tools.

"Cool! Now we just need to find Santa. You guys know where he is?" Kate asked.

"It's not good," the elf said, handing us a mugshot of Santa.

"He's in jail?" Kate and I questioned.

"Poor Santa. I'll bet he's freaking out," Kate said.

~~~

"Santa!" Teddy, Kate, and I said when he came out of the police station in coal dust.

"You busted outta jail!" Kate said excitedly.

"First time for everything, Katie Cat! How's the sleigh looking? Oh, looking good, Lars!" Santa complimented Lars.

"Thank you, Santa," Lars said as the elves dove back into the sack.

"This one, this one has elf blood." the elf pointed at me.

"Really?" Santa looked at me. "How is that possible?"

"I don't know, but it's so cool! I can understand them!" I said excitedly.

"I'll worry about that later. Let's go to work," Santa said. "Whoa, no!"

"What's wrong?" Teddy and I asked worriedly.

"I lost all track of time. We've only got less than an hour before the sun rises," Santa explained.

"But... we can still save Christmas, right?" Kate asked.

"We're at the end of my window, Kate." Santa frowned.

"No. We're not hopeless yet." I broke the silence after a moment.

"Well, there's gotta be something we can do," Teddy agreed.

"I'm afraid not, Teddy," Santa said.

"But that can't be! There can't be Christmas without presents! Without Santa Claus! We ruined Christmas!" Kate said, about to cry.

Teddy sighed. "Listen, Santa. We started something last night, and we're gonna finish it. Now, I don't know how you guys do things in the North Pole, but, a Pierce always sees it through."

"I admire your passion, Teddy. But I haven't cut it this close in, I don't know, maybe ever. I—I just don't see how it's possible." Santa shook his head.

"You do the entire world in one night all by yourself! I mean, imagine what we could cover if we all work together!" Teddy reasoned.

"You haven't cut it this close before, but that was before you had us," I reasoned. "We can help you, Santa. We could be your helpers, Santa, just give us a chance."

"Well, I've never had human helpers in the sleigh before. I dunno, maybe there's... some way we could work together to... make things move faster. We've only got a little bit of North America left. Wait a minute! Wait a minute. If I didn't have to carry my sack, I could move twice as fast! All right, this just might work! Now Kate, you're in charge of getting all the presents ready to go. You just call out the addresses and the names, and you just throw 'em out of the sack. Just chuck 'em out. I'll catch 'em, and I'll deliver! And that means, Teddy, (Y/n), you two drive!" Santa explained.

"What? The sleigh?" Teddy questioned in disbelief.

"No! The cop cruiser! Of course, the sleigh!" Santa said sarcastically.

"You want us to drive that?" Teddy questioned.

"Oh, I've seen you drive," Santa said.

"Yeah, a car. But, I mean, this is... this is..." Teddy trailed off nervously.

"Now where is all that huff and puff about 'A Pierce always sees it through'?" Santa questioned.

"Well, that was before you told me we were gonna have to drive the sleigh!" Teddy replied.

"Well, this is the only possible way we're gonna make it, so I guess it's gonna be baptism by fire!" Santa shook his fist.

"Well, maybe I can help Kate with presents, right?" Teddy suggested.

"Let's go!" Santa yelled. "I told you we're gonna have to move fast!"

We ran toward the sleigh, and Teddy and I got in the front. I took the reins from Santa confidently. They easily understood where I was steering. Teddy tried them and steered us into a billboard.

"Take that, fat man!"

"They won't go up. What do I need to do?" Teddy asked.

"You've always just had to do one thing, Teddy. Believe," Santa said quietly.

"But I do believe in you!" Teddy argued.

"No, no, no! I'm not talking about me. You have to believe in yourself. The way your mother believes in you. And your sister. And your girlfriend. The way your father believed in you. You are a Pierce, Teddy! And a Pierce-"

"Always sees it through!" Teddy finished, pulling the sleigh up with a yelp of fright from me.

"All right, here we go!" Santa said.

"Tony Brooks! Adam Maple! Tommy Burks! Can you believe that? James Hanson!" Kate said.

"Show-off," Teddy commented, making me giggle.

He landed back on the sleigh with a thump. I beamed at him, ready for instruction.

"All set, go!" Santa said. "(Y/n), hit that white button!"

I hit the button, and it glowed, bringing us through the green hole again. We went through The Gateway Arc, cheering.