Chapter 7

Catti-brie could hardly believe that they made it this far. Breaking Drizzt out of one of the most heavily guarded and imposing fortresses in Menzoberranzan was no simple task, even with the help of a wizard.

They had guarded Drizzt as if he was more valuable to House Baenres than pure mithral. And in many eyes of his kin, he was. He was the renegade, the traitor whose heart was going to the spider queen in a very important ceremony that Matron Baenres had painstakingly put together.

Rarely had so many of Menzoberranzan's mighty houses been united under this one cause and rarer still had so many matrons and priestesses been under the same roof. They had joined Baenres under the dome chapel, one of the most sacred shrines to Lolth in the city, to conduct the ritual and receive Lolth's blessings on their quest to conquer Mithral Hall.

The highlight of their ritual would have been Drizzt's still beating heart carved from his chest and given to the spider queen, along with the heart of the unfortunate elf who had been caught alongside him.

But Catti-brie had so unscrupulously stolen their valued prize right out from under them and the ensuing battle to escape had cost Baenres more than a dozen soldiers, including two of the Baenres nobles, Dantrag and Vendes.

Together with Entreri and K'ylor, Catti-brie had found Drizzt in the dungeon, beaten and tormented, and had been surprised to find the elf Legolas down there as well. Drizzt had been astonished to see them. He had expected to die in this place, in the misery that he was in.

But the group fought their way out of the city once and for all. Drizzt had been more than eager to kill Vendes, his tormentor during these long days, and he and Dantrag's fierce battle in the tunnels outside the compound had cost the weapons master his life, as well as his strange and powerful sword and his bracers.

Now, deep in the Underdark, after being sure that Baenres soldiers weren't in pursuit, they could finally catch their breath. And enjoy their reunion.

Catti-brie was quick to turn around and embrace Drizzt, squeezing him tight as the drow relished in his freedom.

"Please spare us before I become ill," Entreri growled, rolling his eyes. Catti-brie glared at him. She knew they couldn't have escaped without the assassin, but she had to resist the urge to slap him hard across the head for all the hardships he had given them since they had first met. For the first time Entreri had put that cursed jeweled dagger to her throat, for torturing Regis and for his obsession with Drizzt.

"He gave his word that he won't trouble us again once we part ways," Catti-brie explained to Drizzt who narrowed his eyes at the assassin. "And I gave me word."

**

Drizzt turned his attention to their newest companion. Ky'lor had aided in their escape. He had proven to be a very capable young wizard student, no doubt a credit to his upbringing and to his training at the academy. But as Drizzt regarded the young drow now, it was as if he could see himself as he was the day he departed from Menzoberranzan 30 years ago. In fact, Ky'lor was about the same age Drizzt was when he first stepped out of the Underdark to live on the surface world.

"There's something about his identity ye should know," Catti-brie began as he noticed Drizzt's attention on the drow. Catti-brie hadn't had the chance to introduce the young wizard yet as they had to focus on escape. But now that Menzoberranzan was behind them and they had already traversed the Underdark for several days, it was time to drop this bombshell. "He claims he is a son of Zaknafein."

Drizzt's eyes widened as he stepped forward. Ky'lor turned to regard him, his expression defensive. "What..." Drizzt murmured. He wasn't sure how to react. A mix of emotions flooded him. He wasn't sure if he could believe this.