Chapter Four

Catti-brie groaned as she opened her eyes, her senses slowly flooding back into her. The first thing she saw was the strange drow mercenary sitting across the table from her, a smug grin crossing his dark lips.

"Well met, daughter of Mithral Hall," he greeted as she shifted in her chair, noticing the rope that tied her hands behind her. She shot the mercenary a dangerous glare despite her predicament. "So beautiful and brave, to come all the way to Menzoberranzan!"

Catti-brie swallowed nervously as the mercenary looked her over, his heat seeing eyes roaming over her. But just beyond him, she saw the other being in the room. She found her tongue at recognizing this human.

"Curse you, Artemis Entreri!" she spat angrily at the assassin who sat comfortably in a chair behind the mercenary. Entreri rolled his eyes as if he couldn't be bothered by what she had to say. He just continued to gnaw on the dried piece of rothe jerky he was eating.

"Such words," the mercenary commented with a chuckle, forcing her attention back to him. He tipped his wide-brimmed hat to her. "You may call me Jarlaxle. And be glad that I have you, for you wouldn't find better treatment in this city."

Catti-brie growled and struggled pointedly in her confined. "Great treatment," she remarked sarcastically.

"Well, I had to be sure you wouldn't be foolish enough to try to escape," Jarlaxle pointed out. "Menzoberranzan is no place for a human."

Catti-brie scoffed and glanced at Entreri. "Then why do you allow that filth to roam free?" she questioned.

"He is not here of his own free will," Jarlaxle explained. "And he is not likely to go charging off to the Baenres compound after Drizzt Do'Urden. At least not without aid."

Catti-Brie let out a breath of relief. She'd seen Drizzt fall in the battle with Jarlaxle's troops and feared the worst, but confirmation that he was alive gave her hope.

"If that's where Drizzt is, then Baenres be damned," Catti-brie spat again angrily. She didn't know who Baenres was, but if that's who had taken Drizzt, then they would feel her wrath. Jarlaxle grinned widely.

"You truly aren't from Menzoberranzan or you would not speak such words," he pointed out as he leaned forward, his expression turning more serious. "Either you are very brave or very foolish."

"I say it's the latter," Entreri remarked from behind. "Drizzt is likely dead already she wastes her time."

Catti-Brie didn't miss the bitterness in the assassin's voice. She knew his only obsession was to prove he was the better fighter than Drizzt. She scoffed at him tauntingly. "Bet it hurt, don't it," she sneered. "To know in yer heart that Drizzt is yer better."

"So brave," Jarlaxle commented admirably. "So beautiful." Catti-brie watched nervously as Jarlaxle got to his feet and moved towards her. Reaching behind her, he pushed her forward, strongly yet gently as he removed the ropes from her wrists, freeing her. Then, as he moved back, he couldn't resist but brush a finger across her cheek.

Catti-brie cringed at the touch, but felt confused by him releasing her. Cautiously, she got to her feet and regarded him. "I have information for you," Jarlaxle explained. "And I have a request. You will not break into the Baenres compound without my help, so if you value Drizzt then you will hear everything I have to say."

Catti-brie sat back down in the chair. She could run, she could dart out of this small house they were in. His actions told her he wouldn't stop her, but she wisely realized she wouldn't get far.

Satisfied that he had her cooperation, Jarlaxle turned to his side and motioned towards a curtained room. The curtains moved aside and a young drow entered the room. He was a curious looking one; he was shorter and somewhat stalkier than the typical slender physique of the dark elves. His skin was a dark gray tone rather than the charcoal black tone of most drow. His eyes were a blueish amber color. But more than that, as Catti-brie met his eyes, this drow felt familiar, his facial structure, his handsome physique.