The Boy with the Limp

Start from the beginning

     "Told ya," Gally said. Then, louder, to the Runner, "Minho!"

     "What, Shuckface?" He said, slowing to a stop then turning around. His clothes and hair were sweaty. His face was red and his breathing heavy, but he still looked enticing. "You know I can't stay long, I have to get to the—" His eyes fell on me and widened, "a shuckin' girl?"

     "That's right," said Gally, looking over at me.

     "Hot," Minho said, looking me up and down, with a playful grin on his face. "Short, but hot"

     He was obviously joking, so I decided I'd humor him. "Not too bad yourself," I replied, rolling my eyes but smirking.

     He smirked, too, "I like her," he said before turning around and heading to the small concrete building near the Box.

     I turned back to the other boys. Newt laughed and Gally rolled his eyes. Alby didn't seem to have much of a reaction and just seemed disinterested.

     "Where's he going?" I asked, gesturing to the building the Minho guy had just entered.

     Newt and Gally answered at the same time, Newt saying, "Map Room," and Gally saying, "none of your concern."

     I glared at Gally but said nothing else. Why is he acting so weird? I thought. Is he always like this? I sure hope not, or I would be in for a hell of a challenge being around him. We held each other's gaze in silence for a few moments before he looked away. I rolled my eyes.

     "It's getting dark. We either need to start a fire or get to bed. What do you guys think?" he asked the boys.

     "I could go for a bonfire," Alby said. "What about you, Greanbean?"

     "Marie." I corrected.

      "Well, Marie, what do you bloody think?" Asked Newt.

     "Sounds fine to me," I said.

     "Good that," Gally said, "Alby, Newt, why don't you shanks go get it started while I start to show Marie around."

     "Or," Alby started, "me and you can start it and Newt can show her around."

     Gally and Alby held each other's gaze for a long moment, seeming to have a conversation with their eyes that I couldn't understand. Neither looked too happy. Confused as to what was going on, I glanced at Newt but he just shrugged. Finally, Gally spoke. "Fine," was all he said before turning and leaving without another word to me or anyone else. Alby turned to leave as well, but not before nodding a quick goodbye to me and Newt.

     "So..." I started, not knowing what to say but not wanting there to just be awkward silence between us.

     "So," he repeated.

     "What was that about?" I asked, gesturing to where the boys were walking towards where I assumed they were going to make the fire for tonight.

     Again, he shrugged.

     "Any guesses?" I asked.

     "Not sure," he said. I waited for him to go on but he didn't.

     "Oh," I said, "okay..."

     "Good that," he replied.

     "What does that even mean?" I asked.

     "Oh," he said, "I guess it just kinda means okay. Just another word we Gladers say."

     "Gladers?"

     "Oh, yeah, that's what we call ourselves. Ya know, 'cause we live in the Glade and all."

     "Right," I said. "Got it."

     "Good that," he said again. "Well, shall we?" He said, gesturing for me to walk with him to show me around. He started limping off and I followed him.

    "What happened?" I asked, looking at his leg.

     "What? Oh, my limp?" He asked.

     "Yeah."

     "Oh..." he said, hesitating slightly but eventually answering, "uh, I—I hurt it trying to get away from a Griever."

     "Oh," I said, "when?"

     "A while ago. It's just, as you can imagine, we don't really have the medical expertise to really deal with the bloody thing all that well."

     "Oh," I said again, not really knowing what else to say. Gosh, why do I have to be so awkward? I rolled my eyes at myself but immediately wished I hadn't and hoped Newt didn't see and think I was rolling my eyes at him. I tried to recompose myself then said, "sorry," touching his arm, trying to be empathetic and show compassion.

      Suddenly, I was no longer in the middle of the Glade with Newt. I was clinging to long vines attached to a stone wall. I looked down and saw just how high up I was. Bad choice! I thought. I didn't know what I was doing. Feelings of fear and depression and anxiety filled me. I couldn't handle this anymore. It was time to end it. I had no idea where these thoughts and feelings were coming from. I ran my left hand through my hair, keeping my right hand tightly gripped to the vines I was holding. Then I squeezed my eyes shut and jumped.