Clay approached warily and watched as Jesse handed George the flower, saying something that Clay couldn't hear. Jesse pointed to Clay and George's expression went from confused to amused.

Clay grabbed Jesse's hand, but she tugged firmly, stubbornly holding on to Clay. She gave him a wide grin, her eyes sparkling.

"Clay!" Jesse exclaimed. "I gave George the flower, just like you asked!"

Clay's coughed. "What?"

He looked at George, dread pooling in his stomach. George chuckled softly, holding the flower in his hands gently.

"Jesse," Clay muttered, "I appreciate the effort, but―"

Jesse interrupted him, asking, "Did it work!?"

Clay opened his mouth to answer, but George spoke first, "Thank you, Jesse. I love the flower, Clay picked a great one."

Clay met the prince's eyes. George clearly figured out Jesse's scheme. He gave Clay an unreadable look, to which Clay responded with narrowed eyes.

"Hey, Jesse," George said, not looking away from Clay, "do you mind giving us a moment?"

Clay started, "Oh, that isn't necess―"

"Okay!" Jesse chirped.

She skipped to a group of flowers, staying in Clay's line of vision. Clay crossed his arms and waited for the prince to speak.

"I, uh, I'm sorry," George said quietly, "I didn't mean to hurt you. I regret saying what I did... it was immature and a dick move on my part."

Clay nodded slowly and George continued, "Using what you told me when you were drunk as a method of defense was horribly wrong of me and I'm sorry."

Clay studied George's honest brown eyes and replied, "I know you're dealing with... something. I could see it in your eyes. Whether you're figuring something out, I don't know, but I shouldn't have pushed you. For that, I'm sorry."

The prince's eyes widened slightly. "You don't need to apologize."

Clay shrugged. "Well, all is forgiven on my end either way."

"Same here."

Clay looked at Jesse, checking up on her. She was playing, chasing after a butterfly with a handful of flowers.

"She... she's really sweet," George said quietly.

"I don't know why," Clay muttered, "She doesn't have loving parents."

"She has you."

Clay looked to George and said in a somber tone, "Sometimes, but I can't be with her all the time."

George nodded thoughtfully, "I'm sure she knows how much you care."

"I..." Clay swallowed, "thank you."

George smiled softly and went to speak when his smiled faltered and he stiffened, his face growing pale.

"What's wrong?" Clay asked, his brows furrowing.

"N-nothing," George stammered.

The prince got this distant look and his eyes widened in terror. He stumbled back a step, dropping the flower and mumbling, "Shutupshutupshutup."

Clay took a step closer, "Are you sure you're okay?"

George didn't respond, his hands starting to shake and he stuffed them in his pockets, gripping onto something in one of them. Clay asked, growing more and more concerned, "George? What's going on?"

Again, no audible response. George's chest started to rise and fall and he hissed, not looking at Clay, "Go away."

Clay frowned, "What?"

George was froze in fear and Clay had no idea what to do, so he did the only think he could think of. He gently gripped George's chin and lifted his head to meet his eyes. With his other hand, he grasped George's shoulder and rubbed a soothing finger in steady circles.

"Hey," Clay murmured, "you're okay. George, you're okay."

George's eyes widened and he blinked rapidly, snapping out of his trance. His eyes seemed to clear and his breathing slowed. George closed his eyes and his shoulders relaxed. Clay didn't let go, he kept helping in the only way he could. When he thought it best to let go, he stepped back, releasing George's chin and shoulder from his grasp.

George's eyes flew open and he grabbed Clay's hand. He said quickly, "Wait."

Clay paused, letting George grip his hand tightly and giving George a confused look.

George looked down and muttered, "It-it goes away when I can feel you."

George cringed at his statement, still not meeting Clay's eyes. Clay's eyebrows furrowed in confusion, "What?"

"Never mind," George mumbled and dropped Clay's hand, "I, uh... I gotta go."

The prince jammed his still-shaky hands into his pockets and walked away, leaving Clay's hand hanging in the air, grasping at nothing.

Clay's fingers curled, the presence of George's hand still lingering. He watched George's figure fade into the shadows of the castle, stuck in a daze.

Jesse skipped over and tilted her head, "Where did George go?"

Clay glanced at his sister briefly, before his eyes lands on the flower, the one that George had dropped. He bent down and picked up the purple flower.

Its stem was mangled, but a majority of the leaves were still hanging on. The smooth petals were attached and full of their purple hue. Clay gently turned the flower in his hand, making sure not to damage its fragile life.

He looked at Jesse, who was clutching her bouquet of various flowers to her chest. Her small brows furrowed at the forgotten flower.

"Clay?" she asked quietly. "Is he okay?"

Clay's eyes dropped to the flower in his hands and he stroked a petal gently. He muttered, "I... I don't know."

---------------

a/n - I honestly love the story direction and I think this is my favorite work of mine so far. big things planned ;)

don't forget to drink some water! ily <3