Chapter 6

"Hey, are you all okay here?" Massimo asked when he went to Giulia's old room, but now it belonged to his adopted son.

"Everything's fine and warm!" Alberto replied, on the makeshift bed on the floor, made with a mattress, a pillow and three sheets. 

Knowing that Luca was cold when he slept on the floor, despite being in the summer, he gave up his bed for his best friend to sleep every vacation. 

"Everything's okay." Luca said between giggles.

"Alright then, good night, ragazzi." He said, before he clicked the switch and turned off the bedroom light.

"Good night." They answered back.

Shortly after the two boys stopped listening to his stride away from the door, Alberto stood up, turned on the lights again and jumped back on the mattress.

"So how was your day today?" He asked, supporting his hands behind the back of his neck.

"Without you, it was totally normal, I think." Luca replied, in a slightly dismayed tone of voice.

As an extremely observant sea monster, Alberto soon realized that something was bothering his best friend since the dinner at Gi's house. They waited all year to see each other again and were very excited for that, at least he was.

"Hey. Are you all right, buddy?" He asked in a sweet tone of voice, which at the same time, showed concern

"Yes, why wouldn't I be?" The younger boy asked, forcing a smile.

Alberto laughed and turned to look at him.

"Come on, I'm your best friend, I know when something's wrong with you. You know you can tell me anything."

Luca smiled and decided to tell him.

"Ok, you know Y/N, right?"

"You speak of the most beautiful woman my eyes have ever had the pleasure of seeing?" Alberto asked, Luca could almost see little hearts floating on the top of his head.

"Yes, it's her." Luca said between laughs. "You... You really like her, right?"

"If I like her? I'm crazy about her. Why? O-oh, don't tell me you like her too."

"No, no, of course not." He quickly clarified. "It's just that you two spent the whole day together yesterday. We didn't even talk properly."

Alberto soon understood what was going on and started to laugh.

"What's so funny?" 

"Luca, are you jealous?" He asked between chuckles. "Like I was when you started to get closer to Giulia?"

"Yeah, I think I am. It's just that I missed you a lot when I was in Genova and I wanted to spend some time with you, like in the old days, you know?"

Alberto got up from the mattress and gave him a affective hug.

"Luca, there's no reason for you to be like this. Just because Y/N has become part of my life, it doesn't mean that you've become less important to me now, you're my best friend and this will never change."

Luca smiled and felt like he wanted to cry with emotion.

"I love you, Alberto."

Alberto was surprised and at the same time, he was moved. That was the first time Luca had said he loved him.

"I love you too." He answered back. "What do you think about tomorrow we spend the day together?"

Luca's eyes lit up and he rejoiced.