𝙏𝙝𝙚 𝙋𝙧𝙚𝙥𝙖𝙧𝙖𝙩𝙞𝙤𝙣𝙨

December 15, 1994

Surprisingly, the wards over Privet Drive did not immediately tell the Headmaster her cousin was missing. No, this discovery was made purely by accident when one of the muggle-born Hufflepuff's parents saw Dudley on the news, owled her son, who then told Susan Bones, knowing Susan's aunt worked at the DMLE. So it was nearly 4 days after the kidnapping, on December 16th that Aster finally got the summons she'd been expecting.

Since this could potentially grow into a high-profile case, Amelia Bones herself was waiting for her in the Headmaster's office. In addition, Sirius Black and Andromeda Tonks were notified as well. Aster stuffed and locked all the memories of that night deep into her occlumency shields, and prepared herself to put on the greatest act she'd ever perform.

"Pup, what's going on?" Sirius said the moment he walked in and then grew alarmed when he saw Amelia. A glance at Dumbledore showed he didn't have any idea either, and Aster merely shrugged, affecting a look that was slightly confused, but not too worried.

"She's not in trouble, Mr. Black," Amelia quickly said, just as Andromeda arrived by floo, looking just as confused.

Aster pretended to slump with relief. "Oh thank, Merlin," she said, grinning. "Not that I can think of anything I've done recently."

Everyone in the room chuckled. "Well, now that we are all here, I will begin," Madam Bones said. "I am afraid that while you're not in trouble, Miss Potter, I am still here in an official capacity. Miss Potter, it is my unpleasant duty to inform you that your cousin, Dudley, went missing."

Aster stiffened, trying to look surprised and disbelieving. "I'm sorry, did you just say he was missing?"

Dumbledore tensed. "When did he go missing?"

"According to the muggle police reports, about 3 days ago," Madam Bones answered. "He was due at a friend's house, a boy named Mr. Polkiss. Do you know of him?"

Aster nodded. "Piers Polkiss. He hangs around Dudley all the time."

"Yes. Your cousin was due at Mr. Polkiss' residence, but never got onto the bus and never arrived," Madam Bones continued.

Sirius looked up to the Headmaster. "I thought you were supposed to have those fancy wards all over that house," he said accusingly. "And now we find out Aster's cousin has gone missing, and it looks like you knew nothing of it!"

"Sirius," Dumbledore said, placatingly. "You are correct that this is news to me as well, however, I must allow a certain number of days to account for vacationing or for the boy to spend time with his friends." Having temporarily mollified Sirius, Dumbledore turned back to Madam Bones. "What has already been done?"

"We have not approached the parents yet," Madam Bones said, directing her answer to Aster. "If you would like to visit your aunt and uncle, I can escort you there."

No matter her conflicting feelings about Dudley, she was never going back to that house. "Are you kidding?" she asked, forcing herself to act like a girl who was glad to be rid of her bully. "I could care less that Dudders went missing. Most likely, he just ran away from home..."

This earned her a look of shock.

"Madam Bones," Andromeda quickly interjected. "My client has suffered a number of years of physical, emotional, and mental abuse, and gross negligence at the hands of her muggle caretakers. There is very little love lost between them."

Madam Bones looked horrified before snapping at Dumbledore. "You had assured the Wizengamut that the girl would be safe wherever you placed her," she growled but didn't give the old man a chance to answer before she turned back to Aster. "Is this true, Miss Potter?"