Chapter 12: The Rejection You Deserve

TW // ALCOHOL 

"You ... Why are you here?" Luke demanded in a solemn tone, pronouncing each of his words in slow motion.

You couldn't really follow who he meant by that. Ms. Rey had her brows pressed together in confusion, and her smile had faded. She darted her eyes at Professor Ren, whose entire face pulsed with tiny veins. He clenched his jaw, gripped his hands into fists, and breathed through his nose like a bull who was about to attack.

They say bulls get angry when they see the color red. If this was true, then Professor Ren would see in Luke the beautiful color of so many red things. However, this was a lie. Bulls are partially color-blind and are actually just irritated by the movement of the cape. And since Luke didn't have one, then Professor Ren had no reason to attack him, right?

"Ben," Ms. Rey muttered in his direction.

Like a ghost that passed through a living body, Professor Ren blinked as his eyes adjusted at Ms. Rey.

Softly, she tried to reach for his hand, to which he flinched at her touch and gawked down at her.

"Never use that name again!" he scoffed through gritted teeth.

Ms. Rey's gasped in shock, confused at his change of behavior. Her eyelashes were blinking and trembling in fear. She moved a step back from him, looking helplessly at you and Luke.

For the first time, Ms. Rey now saw what Professor Ren always showed you. His true self. His monster self. Considering that a few minutes before Luke showed up, he gently stroked her arm, wanting to pay for her the drink like the false gentleman he pretended to be. Even Mr. Hux was more gentlemanly than Professor Ren.

You noticed a tear from Ms. Rey's left eye flowing down her pink cheek. When she felt her tear had reached her chin, she turned her gaze to the ground and quickly wiped it away so that no one would notice.

"Excuse me, I have to go to the bathroom," Ms. Rey notified with a pressed smile that tore her apart and left.

You felt the urge to run after her and check if she was okay, but you didn't want to leave Luke alone with this monster. Who knows who would have died if you would let them both alone?

Professor Ren's intimidating look, which not only frightened Ms. Rey but you as well, had scared her away. And the tone in which he spoke to her? Intolerable.

While the other people in the room continued to chat, it filled the reserved muteness at the bar with emotions you couldn't think of. All you really needed now was a customer who would order a drink to quench this silence.

"If I knew you were here, I would never have stepped foot into this building," Professor Ren spattered in a disparaging tone.

His eyes were sharp daggers that were straightly pointing at Luke.

"Now that you're aware of my presence, you can leave," Luke hissed and held up his hand to gesture the way to the exit.

Professor Ren clasped his arms behind his body and pushed his chest out while giving him a big fake smile, which quickly faded.

"No. I changed my mind. I'd like to stay," he said calmly.

You stood there quiet next to Luke and a box full of beer bottles on the floor, observing this like a spectator who was just in the middle of a drama on a reality TV show. Too bad you didn't serve any popcorn at the bar.

Luke had not taken his eyes off your psychology professor. It was as if the fire full of anger inside him almost extinguished the blue water in his eyes.