We'll Win Your Heart Back

Nighttime fell upon the city of Tokyo. Ren stood in Shibuya Crossing, watching the crowds of people pass by. Carefully glancing around, he hoped to find it. If everything he thought was true, he might be able to convince the Phantom Thieves to stop or put a stop to their plans by himself. Ren found the thought not to be odd anymore, separating his being from the Phantom Thieves. If he were to fail now, then he feared that his friends would get hurt. That another death would happen. He had to stop this, for their safety.

As if on cue, the jumbotrons flashed brightly, followed by static. Ren paid no attention to it until a voice boomed and reached into his mind.

"Joker, leader of the Phantom Thieves of Hearts."

Ren glanced up. There stood the silhouettes of his friends. Uneasy murmuring came from the people around him.

"Joker? Is that a codename or something?"

"Don't they all wear masks? Wasn't he there in their last message?"

"The Phantom Thieves are back?"

"A message to their leader?"

"No, no, no..." Ren muttered, pulling off his hood.

"Us, the Phantom Thieves, have a message for you," the distorted voice continued. "We know not where you currently are, or what exactly your plans could be. But after disbanding, we failed to realize the pain and suffering you have gone through. Your mind has become tainted, twisting the past and causing your rage against the good that has come. Upon changing the hearts of others, we found that your desires have become corrupted."

There came a gasp from the multitude. Ren stayed silent as he listened.

"And so, us, the Phantom Thieves, have collectively made a decision. You have now become a target. No longer will you pull the strings in your play of malice. We have come to steal your desires and collapse the playhouse of guilt that you carry in your heart. We will finish our operation and close the curtain of madness. Don't hold back. We know this inner battle will be difficult, but we will win your heart back. Joker, come back to us."

The screens went black and then turned red as the Phantom Thieves' logo took place of his friends.

Ren turned away from the screens as the halted murmuring started up again amongst the crowd.

"So, that's how you're going to play...?" Ren asked, slowly taking off his glasses. "And so soon? You're mistaken. This will all be over before you know it." He felt himself smirk. "Try to steal my heart, if you can. There won't be a palace to steal from by tomorrow."

He let the glasses fall from his hands and be crushed by the feet of those around him. Midnight struck, and as he walked, he could almost feel the tailcoats of the dark jacket as something unchangeable took hold of his mind.