Chapter Ten

"How was school today Essie, anything different happen?" Her dad asked this now and again.
Struggling over her extra fractions homework Essie gave a very grumpy reply of "No," and that she didn't think the silly rock was making any difference at all.
Her father persisted.
"Why? Did you do anything different, think about anything different?"
"Not really" replied Essie, "There are times when I think I can hear what some people said in their heads, but then I think I've imagined it."
Essie's dad asked her to explain exactly what she'd heard, so Essie told him again about Trent and how she thought he was going for a cigarette, but couldn't really think he was because he was too young.
"The word keeps coming into my head every time he asks", she said. "Anything else?" asked her dad.
"Well, I thought Hallie was going to meet up with some boy, I think I've heard this several times now, but she's way too young to be doing that, and then I thought Mrs Doyle just wanted to go home and not teach us, but I got that wrong too, because instead she gave me extra fractions to do on the blackboard, and then she gave us all extra fractions for homework too. You know I absolutely hate fractions Dad, so no, nothing happened at all except that, and I didn't really notice anything at all. Otherwise I would have been able to make her not give me fractions!" Essie was quite grumpy after this long declaration.
Her father smiled and said "Essie, did you try and influence Mrs Doyle in any way at all? Maybe in some way that would have been good for you?"
Essie looked rather shamefaced and said, "Well..... I did experiment with positive thoughts in her direction about getting out of class early and no homework, but it didn't work, did it?"
"In fact," said her dad, "It actually went backwards sort of, didn't it, Essie? Remember what I told you about your gift, the one you are going to be learning to use? It goes backwards if you try to use it to benefit yourself, and that's what has happened here."
Essie thought about this, and then she realised that if this was true, despite having twice the homework now, then she was hearing what she thought she heard. Her dad went on to tell her that she needed to harness her ability and learn to use it in a positive way, every time.
Essie couldn't wait to go to school tomorrow, she would practice, try again, and remember to make sure it wasn't herself she was going to help. She'd helped herself quite enough today.
"Dad, this ability I have" she asked, "will I be able to use it to help others if I try?"
"As long as your goal is a positive outlook for the person or situation you are trying to help, yes you should be able to. You need to learn how to use what you have" her Dad replied.
"I'm worried about Amelia" she replied, "There is something wrong I can tell, but she says she's fine. I don't think she is, Dad."
"If she needs your help Essie, then it will come to you in time."

After she finished her homework, she bounded into the kitchen to talk to her mum about this amazing discovery. Her mum was distracted as usual, and asked Essie to be a good girl please, and set the table and help make a salad.
Essie tried to tell her mum, only to have her mum put her hand up and say:
"Stop right there Essie." "You cannot tell me anything that happens with what you have learned from now on, it must be between your dad and you only. I cannot know, I am sorry."
Essie was hurt and disappointed, and her mum could see it on her face. So she turned and hugged her, telling Essie that one day she could be called on to use her gift for the good of the country and it was safer if her mother did not know exactly what her gift was.
"It frightens me Essie, the thought of your being involved in something that could be dangerous." She wished so much that Essie had not had this gift, it was too hard to deal with, she explained as the tears gathered in her eyes.
Her dad came in while her mum was saying this and said:
"I know, Julia, but Essie is a strong girl, she understands that her gift must be used for good now, she will learn to use her gift wisely. I think she will understand how much safer we all will be if you do not know what her gift is, or how she can use it. We know the difficulties you already face with Bryce Donald and the results of that Conference."
"Hallie's dad!" Essie thought, "Something is going on, and it concerns him."
Her mother looked at Essie's dad, and replied "Exactly, which is why I must be careful. Especially now."
Essie went to bed that night determined to be more aware of everything and to keep a close eye on Hallie as well, so that maybe she could be of some help to her mum.
She found Hallie's thoughts confusing at times though. Mostly they were about herself rather than anything else, because Hallie nearly always thought about what Hallie wanted.
She wanted a lot of things all at once, and a jumble of thoughts of clothes, shoes, bags, ponies, riding gear and makeup seemed to spend a lot of time floating around in Hallie's head. She seemed to be very keen on this Jake person too, not that Essie had seen anyone called Jake.
Of course at school, Hallie's thoughts when she did focus, were on tormenting someone, usually Essie.