Obsession Chapter 5

Start from the beginning

"What?" I asked, and my sister Bess leaned over the table.

"So... Who is she?" she asked. I just looked at her, not answering. "What?" she said, defensing her right to ask her little brother about his sex life. "You've never spent the night with someone before, and never let them stay here. We're all curious!" Mom nodded in agreement, a big grin exposing her white teeth.

"She was beautiful", little four year old Sammie said, making me smile. Lily WAS beautiful, no argument there. Sammie's twin, Kenny, didn't say anything, but simply glared at his twin brother.

Kenny didn't like changes - at all. It didn't matter if there was a new brand of cereal in the cupboard over the counter, or if a new person entered our lives - he hated it. I wasn't worried, though: he would grow to like Lily eventually. It had been the same when Bess had found her mate, Frank Collins, a muscled giant next to her tiny frame. The top of Bess' red, fluffy hair barely reached to his chest. They looked kind of comical together, actually.

"We think she's his mate", I almost growled as Tommy answered the question on everyone's mind. There was no doubt whatsoever that Lily was my mate. Mom didn't look too surprised, just happy - I suppose dad had told her of our conversation that first day.

"Her name's Lily Hammond", I offered, unwillingly.

Then they all told me what had happened as Lily had left, and mom gushed about me finding my mate and of wanting to officially meet her, until I had fled out of there to run over to Lily's and spy on her, where I stayed, in her backyard for most of the weekend, in my wolf-form, as to not alarm the neighbors too much, and to keep my heightened senses.

-----------------------

I saw Lily a few times again throughout the morning, but every time I was about to go up and talk to her, she turned and ran the other way as fast as she could, which hurt me. Why wouldn't she talk to me, barely look at me - didn't she feel the Bond at all? Had the Bonding not worked both ways? It was driving me mad with worry. If she didn't want to be with me even before she knew I was a werewolf, then how would she react if she found out?

At lunch, when unable to find her in the cafeteria, I followed her scent and the Pull to find her. She would talk to me, she had to - I would make her. The Pull took me across the school grounds and I wondered briefly what she was doing so far away from the food at lunchtime.

And then I turned a corner and saw Lily pressed against a locker by Jason. They were kissing. I was looking through a haze of burning red anger, and my muscles tensed to kill. But the hurt was worse. Lily. My Lily, my angel. How could she do this to me?

Then I heard Lily's voice: "Jason, you'd better let go of me, or I swear to God-", and I REALLY saw the scene before me. They weren't kissing - Jason was kissing Lily's neck, and she didn't look happy about it, almost disgusted. The relief that shot through my body would have brought me to my knees were it not for the new, intensified anger boiling my blood: it was one thing for her to want to kiss him - that I would have accepted even though it would have broken me, for at least she would have been happy - but another entirely if she was being forced against her will - I could not take for her to be hurt. And so - through the dark-red vision of my anger, and with me shaking in anger, I finished her sentence with a murderous voice:

"I will kill you."

Lily's POV

Mom gave me a ride to school again,and promised that she would sign me up for driving-lessons as soon as possible, probably by the end of the week. Then she had to speed away like crazy to get to work on time.

I managed to avoid both Jason (because he's an ass that I don't even want to look at) and Cain (for HAVING an ass that I wanted to look at WAY too much... Awkwardness being the other reason...) until lunchtime (though I could feel both of their stares burn at my skin all throughout the morning), but then I kind of (I hate to admit) lost my way, even after having gone to the school for a week already, and I ended up outside the music room just as Jason came out of it, looking slightly sweaty and very satisfied, towing a bottle-blonde with plastic boobs behind. The girl looked just as sweaty and her hair was a complete mess (much like mine had looked at 6 AM Saturday morning.