Chapter 24

When the next day the woman wakes up she finds Kate dressed and ready for the day reading a book while Lux was curled up against her.

"Hey sweetheart! How did you sleep?"

"Really good"

"It is early.."

"Yes, but mum has a double job so I always get up very early and even when I can sleep more I wake up at the same time"

"This happens to me too.. you have a super mom who is committed to you"

"She says that the sacrifices she is making will pay off one day and you are a good mom too, it's not true what they say at school"

"Lux doesn't want to tell me what exactly they say.."

"She doesn't want you to worry"

"Do you really think we can't worry? We are constantly worried about you kids"

The little girl smiles at such similar conversations that she and her mother make, not knowing each other so well. She didn't want to betray her found friend but at the same time she wanted to help her and she knew that if the adults got in the way it could be either a lot better or a lot worse with no middle ground.

"Kate?" the woman calls the child's attention.

"Yes.."

"Can you tell me what they say?"

"They say a lot of things. Sometimes they say she is ugly and that she shouldn't be the daughter of a celebrity, sometimes she is used simply because having a sad story behind her brings visibility, other times they tell her that if it didn't exist you you wouldn't have had so many problems.. "

"Isn't it all true?"

"Lux shrugs when they say these things to her she cries only when they say bad things about you .."

"What do they say?"

"That you were stupid to take her home or that like all women who do your job are .."

Lana could not help but look at the little girl still fast asleep and close to her and think how unfair life could be sometimes.

"Thanks for being honest"

"I don't think about these things"

"I know, thanks for being with her when it happens"

"Always"

The woman smiles and asks the little girl to go find Renzo and start breakfast. She wanted a moment with Lux, just them. She was torn as to whether to send her to school or not, she wanted to protect her from evil but she knew she had to learn to turn her back on people's gossip. She knew this hurt her but she would finish filming as soon as possible and still take her away.

"Baby it's time to rise and shine," the woman says, moving a lock of the baby's hair behind her ear.

"I am tired"

"No more sleepovers if they get you so tired"

"No no no please" Lux gets up with an overwhelm "That was fun"

The woman opens her arms and the girl enters the woman's embrace.

"Do you know that I love you so much, so much?"

"I know" the little girl looks at her straight in her eyes "I also love you so much"

"You have to prepare for school and I have to prepare for work"