Chapter 17

The last days of vacation Renzo tries to spend every minute of his time with the girls. He was teaching Lux to go underwater and she would please her in everything whether she asked to go and find the horse she liked so much or if the little girl asked for a particular dish for lunch that she would like to eat. Lana appreciated the effort the man was making to make Lux's last few days of vacation unforgettable and she didn't even despise the fact that the man devoted himself to every moment they could carve out for themselves to satisfy her needs.

On the day of departure Renzo of course offers to take the two to the airport and although it had been explained that Renzo would join them a few days later, Lux did not like the idea of ​​a new change as had been predicted by Lana.

After greeting the man, the girl immediately becomes fussy and whiny and for the first time she tests Lana's patience.

Once they have passed the controls, the two wait, sitting in a separate part of the airline's lounge that would have taken them to Toronto. The little girl could not stay still and kept moving and running everywhere to snoop around making Lana go crazy who was terrified of losing her.

"Lux can you sit down?" Lana asks for the umpteenth time.

The girl pretends not to hear and continues to do what she wanted until the fed up woman takes the girl and sits her down next to her and sternly orders her not to move from the chair until their flight had been called.

The little girl was hurt because Lana had never used that way to address her and at the same time she didn't want to give it to the woman so in response she gets up again.

"Don't you dare Lux!" the woman tells her.

"Why what happens if not?" the girl responds defiantly.

"Sit down Lux!" the woman tries again.

"You can't tell me what to do or what not to do, you're not my mother"

"That's enough!" the woman was beside herself and takes the child and slaps her. The child was certainly only wounded in the pride that for the slap itself but her expression immediately make the woman repent.

"Lux .." the woman tries.

"Don't talk to me anymore! Never again!" the little girl tells her in a faint voice and sits down where she was told and she doesn't move from that seat again until half an hour after her flight is called.

The girl gives the woman the treatment of silence.

That Lux was stubborn Lana knew but that at that age she could keep the point so long she didn't expect it. For the entire duration of the flight, the child does not speak to her travel companion. She politely answers the hostess questions to determine what she wanted to eat but she doesn't touch any food other than a bottle of water and she spends most of her time asleep in a super uncomfortable position.

After six hours of silence with the excuse that the stewardess had brought a snack and that the child had not touched any food, the woman tries to wake her up to make her eat.

"Hey sweetheart! You have to eat something .." the woman tells her stroking her hair.

Waking up the little girl moves away from the woman's caress.

"I'm sorry Lux for the slap, I really am" the woman says sincerely with tears in her eyes but the girl doesn't seem to give up and keeps the point "Eat at least this .." passes her a pack of oreos that the woman had taken to eat during the flight.

The robot-like girl takes the package and puts three biscuits in her mouth. She returns the package and after struggling to swallow she goes back to sleep.

She wasn't angry about the slap at least she wasn't angry anymore. Lux was quite mad at herself for hurting Lana's feelings and yelling at her that she wasn't her mother when she was the only person in her life who had shown her any love.

The woman, believing the child asleep, covers her with a blanket and puts the Stitch stuffy that had fallen to the ground near her, kisses her head and whispers in her ear an "I love you". From that gesture the little girl was surprised at how the woman, despite being hurt, dealt with the same love.

The girl is awakened by the woman only when the plane has landed.

Lux follows her instructions that Lana gives her without letting any emotion show through, like a little robot, which follow the woman without making a turn.

After having passed the checks and taken the suitcases, they rent a car and the woman drives for an hour before reaching a small house in the middle of the woods. Lux had never seen landscapes like this and was so fascinated and captivated that all the way she hadn't been able to take her eyes off the window.

"This will be home until I finish shooting, I rent this every year is more comfortable than staying in a hotel" the woman informs the girl taking the keys from under the doormat.

Again the little girl doesn't say a word, she follows the woman into the house. It was small on two floors, with two bedrooms upstairs. To make them feel more at ease, Lana had asked the owner to make some changes to one of the rooms and on the door there was written the girl's name as well as on the head of the bed and what had been in the previous years the sterile guest bedroom had become the little girl's room. The predominant color was powder pink, the girl's favorite color. There was a bed, wardrobe, desk and chair / swing hanging from the ceiling. A door that led to the bathroom of the room and a little tiny door that led to a corner with fairy lights and pillows for relaxing and reading. The little girl would have jumped for joy but she simply followed the woman without showing anything.

"I'm going to order dinner, you can unpack your bags"

The girl does what is requested and after arranging she sits on the bed waiting for the woman to return to say that dinner had arrived.

After about twenty minutes the woman appears at the door.

"What are you doing?"

No reply.

"Is this going to go on for a long time? Because I apologized for what happened .."

Nothing.

The woman then kneels in front of the child sitting on the bed.

"I'm sorry not to be your mom but I'm trying, I'm really trying to do the right thing" the woman tells her with tears in her eyes but again there is no reaction from the child.

The woman invites her to go downstairs to eat and she notices that again the little girl is playing around with food rather than eating it but she decides to drop it and when she puts down her fork she sends her to take a shower and to bed. There was never an answer but only an execution of orders.

Shocked and sad, the woman calls Renzo and explains her situation to him and the man invites the woman to be patient and tells her that surely Lux would come around.

Before going to bed, Lana goes into the little girl's room.

"Did you brush your teeth?"

No answer but only those hazel eyes that stared at her and if they could have hurt her repeatedly.

"If you need something come and wake me .." the woman says kissing the baby's forehead and leaving the room.