Chapter 17

The next morning, Sarah woke up with a new determination. She was going to find a way to get Finn, Sage, and Lexi back from the Other Side. Most importantly, she was determined to do it without messing up the timeline for the Mystic Falls events. She was searching all kinds of magic, knowing that they could use the Traveler's spell, but that would mean making Bonnie the anchor instead of Amara. Either way, it would start the collapse earlier and risked the Other Side not being there when members of the Mystic Falls gang would die the next year. Elijah found her in the study, at 8am, searching old grimoires for a spell they could use.

           "Anything I can help with?" Elijah asked from the doorway. 

           "Yeah, grab a book and start looking." Sarah replied. 

           "For what, exactly?" 

           "A way to bring someone back from the Other Side...obviously." 

           "Sarah, you just found out that your brother is alive...take some time to enjoy it." 

           She put down the book she was holding and looked at him with a very serious look. "No." Then looked back down at the book. 

           "And why not?" 

           "Because..."

           "Because why?"

           "Because." she paused, I have my brother back...my family is complete. Now it's time to make yours complete too."

           "Sarah..." Elijah gently smiled, it warmed his heart that she cared so much about him and his siblings. 

           "Yeah, yeah. I love you too, 'lijah...Now grab a book. Preferably one of the ones that's not in English." 

           Elijah laughed, "and why is that?"

           "Because I can't understand those...obviously." She looked at him like he was dumb for not knowing that already. 

           Elijah patted her on the head, picked up a book written in a language that was long dead, and sat down in his favorite chair. 

           As the day went on, anytime someone walked past the study, Sarah handed them a book and told them to start looking. By the time the sun went down, Sarah, Elijah, Nik, Bekah, Kol, Henry, Stefan, Caroline, and even Ellie were all sitting around the study looking through every book they could find. Ellie had a stack of picture books that Bekah got for her and was curled up in a pile of pillows that she'd dragged to a corner of the room. 

           "Alright, it's time to call it for the night." Elijah stated, putting his book down. 

           "But 'lijah..." Sarah started. 

           "No. Bed...now." 

           Everyone went to bed and got a good night of sleep before resuming their research the next morning. That's how things went for the next two months. After about a week, Elijah, Nik, Bekah, Stefan, and Caroline left to continue their search worldwide. Henry, Sarah, Kol, and Ellie stayed behind so that Ellie wouldn't have to travel much. Kol would occasionally leave to pick up a rare book he had stored away somewhere, but he always talked to Sarah about where he was going before he left and came right back once he picked up whatever book he left to get. They had been so busy that Sarah and Kol hadn't gotten the chance to talk about whether or not they would get back together. It was the end of April when they finally found something. 

           "Hey!" Kol exclaimed, scaring Sarah who'd been focused on the book she was reading. 

           "Cheese-it's, fuck!" Sarah jumped, "Sorry...you scared me. What did you find?"