Chapter 16

The next day, Sarah woke up with Ellie in her bed. Ellie hadn't wanted her to be alone the night before. Sarah got out of bed, it's been five days since the explosion and corresponding trip to the hospital. She was feeling much better and her bruises were already starting to fade. Ellie was still asleep, as it was 6am, so Sarah left her in bed. She got dressed and went downstairs to make herself some tea. When she got to the kitchen, she made herself a mug of passion fruit tea and walked outside to sit on the back patio. It was a quiet morning, the sun hadn't even started to rise, so the only light was coming from the kitchen. As she sipped her tea, she thought about her brother and the nagging feeling that she'd had since she was brought to this universe. Since the night Henry disappeared, Sarah never lost hope that he was still alive somewhere, and that feeling had only gotten stronger over the past week and a half.

           "You're up early." Stefan said as he walked over, kissed the top of her head, and sat down in the chair next to her.

           "Yeah, I've had this weird feeling since I got here..." she paused thoughtfully, "well...more like a stronger version of the feeling that I've had for years."

           "What kind of feeling?"

           "That Henry's still alive."

           "Really?"

           "Yeah, it's really starting to bug me."

           "Is there anything I can do? Do you want to talk about the good memories that you have of him?"

           "It would be easier if I could just show yo...wait...you can look into my memories if I let you, right?"

           "Yes, I haven't done that in a while but it's worth a shot."

           Sarah turned her chair so that she was facing Stefan and he did the same.

           "Open your mind and think about all of the good memories that you have of Henry." Stefan said as he leaned forward and cupped Sarah's face in his hands. Suddenly he was drawn into Sarah's mind and her memories of her twin.

           Memories flashed past him; birthdays where Sarah's family only celebrated Henry so he threw Sarah her own party just for the two of them, days they spent playing together as children, the day the both passed their drivers test, Christmases, Easters, thousands of memories until it stopped on one. It was their first day of high school. They walked into school together, people high-fiving and saying hi to Henry as they walked by. He had always been popular, while Sarah was pretty much invisible. A few of Henry's friends smiled at her, because they had known him forever and were kind to her out of respect. Sarah turned to walk off by herself, not wanting to get in the way of Henry and his friends, but he stopped her and took her hands in his.

           "It's time to stop being invisible, Sarah. Things are going to be different now." Henry smiled at her. "Be brave."

           "Okay," Sarah smiled, "I'll try."

           "Everyone!" Henry exclaimed, "This is my twin sister, Sarah. If you want to be friends with me, then you have to be her friend too."

           Sarah stood still, waiting for everyone to reject her, like so many people had before. Instead, everyone came up to her, asking her questions and inviting her to sit with them at lunch. She had the biggest smile on her face that Henry had ever seen. He promised himself that, as long as he was around, she would never be alone again.

*end memory*

           Stefan sat back, Sarah had tears in her eyes, "Wow."

           Sarah sniffled, "I had forgotten about that, thanks for bringing that memory out Steffie." she smiled at him.