Evolution

I can't bear to watch Noah leave, so I keep my face in the crook of Arlo's neck as the truck roars to life and squeals down the road. We stay in the middle of the street, and as the darkness envelops us I detangle myself from Arlo.

I wipe my face with my sleeve. "I had no idea he was coming over."

"He's still in love with you," Arlo says. His voice is kind of gravelly.

"What did he want?" Ollie cuts in. "Besides blaming you for your failed relationship?"

I wince at his words but look him in the eye. In the dim his features are sharp; half of him is hidden in shadow. "I don't know—to go for a drive."

Ollie steps forward, revealing something else in his eyes.

"What did he want?"

Arlo's hand slides up my back, rests on the back of my neck. I melt at his touch. "I—I'm not—sure."

The boys share a look over my head, and suddenly Arlo is spinning me into him, wraps his arm around my neck and leads me back towards the house. I nearly trip over the curb and into the grass, but he keeps a tight hold of me. Ollie is close behind.

What was that in his eyes? What am I not understanding?

Instead of leading us back inside, Arlo takes us around to the side of the house, where the only window is the one looking into the dark den we never use. Our recycling bin sits next to the gate door fencing in our backyard.

"What—" I begin, but Arlo's pushing me up against the house. His lips find mine in the dark and his mouth is hot.

Ollie's beside me, whispering in my ear as Arlo works his mouth, parting my lips with his tongue. "You're naïve enough to think that boy would camp outside your house just to go for a drive?"

Arlo lets me come up for air; he forces my head to the side to look at Ollie and starts sucking my neck.

"What do you mean?" I gasp, trying to read Ollie's features.

He kisses me instead, harsh and deep.

Arlo's hands grip me tightly, hold me in place.

We absolutely can't do this here—but the heat coming off them, their lips on me, mouths working to devour me, I can't help the sensation in my core from wanting more.

When Ollie pulls away, he locks on to a fistful of my hair. "He was looking for more than a drive, Little Wren."

At these words, Arlo bites down and I let out a moan. His fingers nimbly reach under my sweater up my stomach. The chill of the air brings goosebumps to my skin.

My brain is hazing over from all the electricity between us, but I manage to speak. "You think he wanted more? To what—relive what we used to do?"

Arlo pushes himself against me. His hand finds my breast, squeezes and thumbs my nipple. I feel his erection through his jeans.

Ollie takes my chin in his hand. "He wanted to fuck you. Fuck you like he used to. But he can't fuck you like we can."

At those words Arlo drops down to the ground. In seconds he has my jeans undone.

"I would never—not with him. Not again," I say, promise.

For the briefest of moments, Ollie's features soften as he takes me in. "Of course you wouldn't."

I look down to Arlo. He pulls my jeans and panties down over my hips and turns his eyes up to me. His mouth hovers just around my clit. I can see his breath as he exhales. "You're the only other person we've ever trusted, Wren."