•Twenty Seven•

Start from the beginning

My eyes shifted away from him and to Bucky. He looked caught off guard and Nat's eyes lowered as well. I looked into my lap regretting even saying a word. I heard the door open and Morgan came running out and hugged Tony.

"Mommy told me to come and save you." She said in almost a whisper.

"Good job, I'm saved." He said holding her tightly. "I wish you would've come here to ask me something else, anything else. I'm honestly happy to see you all, and dinner is set for six-"

"Forget it, and I'm happy for you I really am." Steve said. "But this is a second chance."

"I got my second chance right here." Tony said shrugging as he held Morgan and he even looked to me. "I can't, I can't roll the dice on that... if you don't talk shop you can stay for dinner."

Tony walked back inside and I looked up at the three of them. I didn't dare turn to Bucky because I knew the look he would be giving me. I knew I was keeping secrets and I knew I was wrong.

"I'll see you back at the house." Bucky said looking at me stolidly. "It's good to see you guys, it's been too long."

He walked past Nat and touched her shoulder, he nodded to Scott, but stopped for a moment at Steve. They exchanged eye contact for a long moment before they hugged each other tightly. I could see the hurt in Steve's eyes as Bucky pulled away and stomped off towards our house. Their eyes trained on me as soon as he was gone.

"Bucky didn't know about the calls?" Steve asked and I just shook my head.

"Dont worry about Tony, he's scared." Nat said exhaling.

"He's not wrong." Steve said looking to her

"I mean yeah, but we need him. What are we going to do just stop?" Scott asked tripping over his own words.

"No I wanna do this right..." Steve said shaking his head.

"I don't think there's any getting to Tony." I said shaking my head.

"What about you and Bucky? We need all the help we can get." Steve said looking to me.

"I never really left like they did, even if I go in on this time heist there's no guarantee Bucky will come with, much less Tony." I said sighing.

"Bucky will follow you wherever you go, he's stubborn, but you've got that boy wrapped around your finger tighter than anyone else ever has." Steve said and I looked at him with hesitant eyes.

"I don't know Steve, a warning would have been great. I could have at least tried to warm up your crowd." I said with a very weak laugh.

"It was urgent." Steve said with a small grin. "But I gotta know, are you in?"

"I don't know guys, I'll have to get back to you have I deal with them." I said rising to my feet. "I've missed you guys, I really have."

"We've missed you too." Nat said stepping forward and hugging me tightly. "I never would have thought loosing half of us would end in losing almost all of us, I hardly see anyone anymore."

"It's a different world, maybe not the best version we could have had." I said looking at the three of them as I backed away from Nat. "I'll call you guys, now if you don't mind I have a bomb at home to go diffuse."

"We'll be waiting." Steve said and I nodded to him.

I walked down Tony's porch and I headed off towards Bucky. I knew I'd have to converse with Tony at some point but that was a much more complicated bomb. Bucky maybe I could talk into this but Tony, I didn't have much hope to sway him.