Special Soul-Mark. Part One of Two: Family Matters

(Uploaded to Tumblr on 13/4/20)

Natasha Romanoff x Reader

Modern AU, Soulmate AU

Words: 2,398

Warnings: Referenced child-abuse, childhood teasing, detailed injures.

Request: For the Anon who donated to the Australian Bushfires.

Summary: How you finally met your soulmate.

A/N: Just an FYI, I've never seen Family Matters lol.

***

"They're a clumsy one." You overheard your mother say behind you, to some of her friends, as you, at five-years-old, played in the grass with your own friends.

"Who is, mommy?" You turned around to ask, just as curious as every child, to the world around them.

"Your soulmate, honey." She pointed to the marks littering your skin.

Looking down your eyes found a small scratch on the inside of your forearm.

You remembered the day you learned about soulmates. You had been in the bath, your mother washing the dirt from your face, after jumping around in muddy puddles with your father. You had been remembering how all the kids teased you at school, for having so many cuts and bruises covering your body. When you asked, "Why do I have these?" You drew your arms out in front of you, as to give your mother a better look at what you were talking about.

But she knew.

Of course, she knew.

She had, after all, been waiting for this moment for a long time.

They're from your soulmate, Honey." She tried to have a bright smile covering her face as she told you this. Knowing how confused you were by some of the children's teasing. But they, thankfully, had it all sorted out now, after going to the principle and complaining. "You have a very special "soul-mark" if they get a bruise or scratch. So do you."

"It's special?" you asked, voice full of wonder.

"Yes." She nodded, overexcited for your sake.

It wasn't special really. Just less common than the others. Most people have tattoos, timers, red strings around their pinkies, some even had the first place their soulmate would ever touch them.

One in one-hundred-thousand had the same soul-marks as you. So, nowhere near 'special'. Just less likely.

But, you didn't have to know that now, did you?

Not until you undoubtedly find out in your later years.

Right now? Yeah. You could think it was special.

"Why don't they hurt?" was your next question.

"I don't know." She shrugged. "No one truly does. I'm sure there's some scientist's out there with an explanation to it all. But I like to think that it's because your soulmate never wants to hurt you."

"When will I meet them?"

"That I also don't know," she said, lifting you out of the dirty water, and rubbing you dry with a soft fluffy towel. "Everbody has their own time. You'll have yours too, baby."

"They must be very wobbly on their feet." She pulled you out of your memories. Since that day, you had been excited to find your soulmate. But you remembered your father's words, that same night as he put you to bed.

"You've just got to wait for them. They'll be worth it when you finally find them."

So you were patient. And you would be for however long you needed.