04| 𝕾𝖎𝖗𝖊𝖓𝖘 𝖎𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖇𝖊𝖆𝖙 𝖔𝖋 𝖞𝖔𝖚𝖗 𝖍𝖊𝖆𝖗𝖙

Heart kicking suddenly against my ribs, I took a small step back, but his hand tightened, not letting me go. He grinned and I fought the red on my cheeks. I knew this grin, I'd seen that infuriatingly tempting dimple of his whenever he wanted to push my buttons or surprise me.

"I bought the treehouse," My heart rate picked up as I watched him look at me, his steady meaningful gaze causing havoc on my senses.

"How? Why? I... the people who bought the house tore it down years ago!"A fierce ache welled up in my chest until I didn't know where to look, wanting to absorb everything at once. The feelings were heady and dizzying.

Unfamiliar but so welcome.

"No, my parents had it installed in our house, and then it was sold separately. I tracked the couple and bought it from them."

I didn't know what to say. I understood what he was giving me. A chance to accept him. A chance to start over with him. A normal life.

Why couldn't I? I wanted what he could give me. Didn't I deserve that? Wasn't denying it more treacherous? Or was I lying to myself even now? And if so, did that even matter? His eyes held mine captive and I knew we were both aware of the edge. Of the danger.

We were inches away from falling.

His touch stilled as he searched my face for an answer. And at that moment, I realized that this was my life. What existed between Azaan and I was messy and complicated, but oh so real and alive. Something to be protected and cherished. To be fought for.

"Eliza, I..." He breathed, may be pleaded. I wasn't sure. His eyes shifted to look at something behind my shoulders and he took in a deep breath. "He's gone outside. This is our chance."

I stiffened, realizing where we were, why we were here. Out from the fairytale and into the real world. "How much time do we have?"

"Wait, let me check," He looked at his wrist. "Five minutes," I shivered, his proximity sending little prickles over my temple.

"Dancing with you always made me forget my bearings."

"Uh-huh," My cheeks were hot again, and I felt the weight of my hair shifting. One eyebrow rose up in an arch but he chose not to reply, his eyes dancing with mirth. I stepped back and he followed, his body seemingly attuned to mine.

"Let's go," He whispered just as the clock struck the hour, grasping my hand in his, leading me towards the stairs.

As expected, two large men in dark suits flanked the exit at the back. Azaan shuffled me towards the darkened corner, his hand on the small of my back, pretending to whisper something in my ear. I let out a small giggle, and the guards looked away, taking us to be another pair of love birds.

Their first and only mistake.

In a high-tech, modern house, like Akbar's, the security system, lights, the music, and the power all ran off a single grid, controlled remotely. Al had reassured me that she would be able to hack into that system. And as always, my sister had my back.

The moment the room plunged into darkness, I dove for the legs of the guard closest to me, watching Azaan do the same. Seconds later, he reached into his pocket and pulled out two syringes. He uncapped them, handing one to me, both of us swiftly reaching out and injecting them with a small vial designed to put them to sleep. The transparent, amber-colored fluid flowed into their bodies, gleaming sinisterly in the evening light.

We got to work, hiding the bodies in the corner, going down the empty corridor.

The entrance to the basement was at the other side of the hallway, designed as an exit route for Akbar.