Chapter 23

"I'm still waiting for the poem that saves me."

"...will you write it?"
- m.razon

**

"You don't have to look so grumpy." Audrey laughs, sitting down next to me on the ground. I had taken temporary residence under a lone tree in the past two hours.

I manage a smile at the girl. "I'm not grumpy. I just have a lot to think about." 

"You're always thinking aren't you? You shouldn't do that so much. That shit is annoying." Audrey points out. She was very observant according to her sister, now I knew what she meant.

"I can't exactly control it. It just happens."

"I guess so... but why aren't you inside?" 

"I just wanted to sit out here for awhile. Clear my head." The party was in full swing and the entire house was packed with people. I think when they meant family they had actually met the entire family, as in aunts, uncles, cousins, four times removed. It had gotten to a point where it was suffocating me to see so many faces I didn't know so I escaped to the backyard. The house overlooked the sea and it was incredibly peaceful out here. I already loved this one tree I was sitting under, we were already good friends.

"Addy and Montana were looking for you."

"They were? How did meeting the in-laws go for Calum?" Before I had escaped, Montana had been freaking out over her family being here. It was cute how they were so in love. Everyone was in love.

"It went well. They loved him, they love everyone so it's really not a problem." She frowns.

"What's the matter then?"

"I actually liked him first. But of course, she got him." She laughs.

"Oh. Well—"

"Just joking Sierra. I'm happy for my sister."

"You will find your Calum Hood one day," I assure her anyway.

"Should we go back inside?" Audrey points back at the house.

"You go ahead. I'm going to stay out here for a little while longer. I have someone to talk too so I really do need all the fresh air I can get."

She raises an eyebrow at me. "Luke, isn't it?"

"Maybe."

"It's okay. I was there yesterday during that meeting. I saw how you couldn't drag your eyes away from him. There is something about you guys--It's like there's an electrical cord pulling you two towards each other. You don't see it and you don't know it's there but the rest of the world does."

I didn't know what I could possibly say to that, so I stare down at my hands that clasped tightly together on my lap. Pulling us towards each other? He didn't even so much as look my way.

"I'm sorry. This must be awkward for you. I didn't mean it in a bad way, it's just nice to see people that are so in love." She shrugs.

"We aren't in love, Audrey. He doesn't like to acknowledge my existence." I laugh.

"If you say so," she shrugs, standing up. "—I'm gonna go back inside before my mum freaks out searching for me. The crowd in there is insane." She gives me a little wave and walks off.

I wave back to her and turn back towards the view of the sea. I really didn't like the fact that there were a lot of animals out here but Australia is way too breathtaking to be sad. Watching the waves calmed my mind, the wind brushed against my skin, playing with my hair.