xxii, we belong together.

act two, chapter twenty two. we belong together.

olive walked into her mother's room shamefully and sat on her bed, watching as she got ready for work. she'd gotten up extra early for this — carmen better have some good advice.

"why are you awake?" carmen furrowed her eyebrows, but did not look away from the mirror. "it's like five am."

"bro acting like i sleep," olive burped. "excuse me. anywho, i need your advice."

carmen sighed. "you couldn't wait until later?" she asked. "i gotta leave in like, three minutes. how long is this gonna take?"

"tommy and i kissed," olive said, sticking her tongue out jokingly and ignoring the shocked look on her mom's face. "and we didn't really talk about it? it was the day before yesterday."

"so? why don't you ask him about it?" carmen said.

olive groaned and leaned back on the bed, covering herself with the blanket that was folded in the corner. "what the hell am i supposed to say? 'hey tommy i know we kissed in my car a couple days ago are we together or are we pretending it didn't happen?'"

"okay, well — not exactly like that," carmen laughed, getting out of the seat in front of her mirror and slipping a pair of shoes on. "just call him, or go to his house, and ask him. 'what are we?'"

olive looked at her dumbly. "ha ha, funny. now give me real advice."

"that's all i got for you, kid," she said as she shrugged, uncovering olive with the blanket and dragging her up. "now leave my room. have fun cutie pie." she pushed olive out of the room, following behind.

"have a nice day at work," olive grumbled and rubbed her eyes. "i'm going to bed."

"i thought you didn't sleep?" carmen joked.

olive stopped in her tracks and turned around, before continuing off to her room. "oh, shuddup."

"holy balls," olive sighed as she looked at herself in the mirror. "what says 'i like girls but i'm willing to make an exception for you'?"

the girl had a habit of talking aloud to herself. it's honestly kind of fun, having a voice to talk to that can't judge you for anything, cause — well, it agrees with everything you say.

"who am i kidding, i wouldn't make an exception for anyone if anya taylor-joy was there," she laughed. "i'm at the alter and she shows up? pfft, i don't know who you are."

picking an outfit — olive plopped down on her bed, staring at the ceiling. "'what are we, tommy?' no, no — just 'what are we?'"

three words that could probably change a solid chunk of her life. "i'm gonna eat this up. then i'm gonna jump out the window if he says 'balls'."

olive walked over to the window and took a pebble out of a small plant that was son the ledge of it. throwing it across, it hit tommy's window.

about to throw another, tommy opened his curtains and made her put it down. here we go. he slid up the window and stuck his hands through. both had taken off their screens forever ago.

"hi ollie!" tommy grinned.

"are we what?" olive said. "FUCK ME."

she groaned and left the window sill, pacing once before making her way back to it. tommy furrowed his eyebrows. "are we what?"

"ass," olive sighed. "okay, what are we, tommy?"

okay, i guess i'm saying tommy. that wasn't the plan, but —

the blonde looked at her with a straight face, before climbing out the window and sitting on the tree that was between the two houses. olive joined him.

"what are we," tommy repeated the question. "well, we could be — uh — boyfriend and girlfriend? okay, i sound like i'm an eleven year old boy asking someone to date me on the playground." he laughed.

olive leaned back in laughter, patting tommy's shoulder. "we can be boyfriend and girlfriend, tommy." she teased him.

"okay, fuckface."

"shithead."

and the insults turned into a kiss. so, the what are we? question has now been answered. and for once, the voice in olive's head went away. it was just the two of them.

olive!
honestly i don't know how
i feel about this one man

— olive!honestly i don't know howi feel about this one man

my dad and i chatting (my dog's name is dillinger)