Ch 1. Vampire Barbie

The lingering aroma of aged bourbon clung to the glass tumbler cradled in Damon's hand as he stared unseeingly into the trailing smoke

The lingering aroma of aged bourbon clung to the glass tumbler cradled in Damon's hand as he stared unseeingly into the trailing smoke. His brow furrowed in contemplation, his cobalt eyes distant as the evening's tumultuous events replayed mercilessly behind his shuttered gaze.

That kiss with Caroline had ignited something deep within the hollowed confines of his soul - something he hadn't dared acknowledge for fear of shattering the delicate illusion entirely. Yet in that scorching collision of yearning and surrender, every meticulously constructed defense had unraveled like errant threads in a tapestry.

Damon lifted the crystal tumbler to his lips, allowing the rich amber liquid to burn its way down his throat. The familiar fire brought only momentary solace, however, as his restless mind continued to linger on their shared moment.

So consumed was he by these ruminations that the shrill ring of his phone sliced through the intimate ether like a banshee's cry. Damon tensed imperceptibly, his brow furrowing further as he absorbed the caller ID. "Barbie," he muttered, the familiar moniker dripping with grudgingly affectionate inflection.

With a flick of his thumb, he connected the call, allowing a faint, roguish smirk to curve his lips as he offered his customary sardonic greeting. "Well, well...if it isn't my favorite blonde. Missing me already?" he purred, each syllable saturated with blatant innuendo.

The rich baritone that answered, however, was decidedly not Caroline's. "Damon," Noah's British tones sliced through with chilling finality. "There's been an accident."

In that suspended heartbeat, a pall of dread unlike anything Damon had experienced descended upon him. Every facet of the world seemed to recede until the only stimulus was the urgent cadence of Noah's voice.

"What happened?" he demanded, fingers tightening convulsively around the crystal until the grooves bit into his flesh.

A pregnant pause answered him - the weighted silence stretching between them until it became an almost palpable force. At last, with resignation, Noah responded. "It's Caroline..."

The words hung in the air, suspended amidst layers of unspoken implications too harrowing to be rendered into the mortal tongue. Yet Damon understood - perhaps better than anyone. A bone-deep understanding blossomed within him, lancing straight through the foundations of his meticulously constructed defenses until they shuddered and crumbled into detritus.

Surging to his feet, Damon pivoted and blurred across his bedroom with preternatural speed, rendering his passage ethereal. The forgotten tumbler clattered to the hardwood, its contents spilling in a shallow amber puddle as he reached the threshold within a single inhalation. Without hesitation, he abandoned his inner sanctum and surged into the night-shrouded air - his next words slicing through the shadows with finality.

"Where?"

♤♤♤♤♤

The stark fluorescent lights of the hospital corridor seemed to drain the remaining vitality from Jacob's ashen features. Slumped in one of the vinyl-padded seats, he presented a portrait of utter desolation - haunted eyes rimmed with profound shadows.