Ch 1. Vampire Barbie

Start from the beginning

Damon scoffed dramatically, rolling his eyes in that way that made Caroline's heart skip a beat despite herself. "Oh come on, Blondie. Like you haven't noticed?" That trademark smirk curved his full lips as he arched an eyebrow. "I am an eternal stud, after all. People just can't resist falling for my charms."

Rolling her eyes fondly, Caroline pursed her lips. "Damon, sweetie, I'm gonna need you to put those few remaining brain cells together and work with me here, okay?"

Holding his intense blue gaze, she pressed further. "What else happened after this...interaction with Elena? There's more to this, isn't there?"

Something flickered across Damon's chiseled features as he mentioned the attack on John Gilbert. Caroline's breath hitched, the pieces slowly falling into place like tumblers in a lock. Her eyes widened fractionally as realization blossomed.

"Wait...if we both left around the same time, way after you..." She trailed off, brow furrowing. "How could Elena reach home so fast? Especially when she had to give her statement to the cops?"

The implication hung heavy and foreboding in the hushed hospital room. Caroline watched realization galvanize Damon like a physical force, his jaw ticking as his features contorted into a mask of cold fury.

"Katherine," he growled, the single syllable a guttural snarl of undisguised rage.

In that moment, the lingering embers of Caroline's jealousy died an abrupt death, smothered by the yawning pit of trepidation unfurling within her core. If Katherine Pierce had returned to Mystic Falls, it boded ill for them all - especially for the Salvatore brothers she so delighted in tormenting.

Despite the gravity of the situation, a sardonic smile curved the corners of Caroline's mouth. "Looks like your half-ex-girlfriend is back in town."

♤♤♤♤♤

The corridor lights seemed to drain all vitality from Bonnie's delicate features as she emerged through the double doors. Tendrils of her raven hair escaped their style, framing her face in wisps as she turned towards the solitary figures by the reception desk.

Jessica and Samantha looked equally haggard, the previous night's vigil clearly weighing on them. Yet the moment Bonnie's emerald gaze found them, the two younger women seemed to find reserves of resilience beneath their fatigue.

"You've all been here all night?" Bonnie murmured, closing the distance between them.

Samantha offered a solemn nod, amber eyes kindling warmly. "Yeah, with the Sheriff," she replied hoarsely, profound weariness lacing her voice.

"We took turns staying since the hospital wouldn't let the whole group remain," Jessica elaborated, brow furrowing delicately.

Bonnie's full lips pursed contemplatively before she inclined her head in understanding. As her verdant gaze roamed the periphery, however, her brow furrowed deeper. "No one else?" she asked in a hushed undertone.

Jessica seemed to absorb the implication after a pause. "Damon's been by her side the whole time," she revealed, each syllable tinged with subtle disbelief.

"How is she?" The concern was evident in Bonnie's tone.

"See for yourself," Sam intoned, gesturing towards Caroline's room.

As one, the trio slipped through the sliding barrier. What awaited them, however, seemed incongruous with the worry and apprehension they felt.

Caroline reclined against plush pillows, her delicate brow serene and vibrant - as if the harrowing ordeal that nearly rent her existence asunder was a fleeting aberration. At her bedside like an avenging sentinel loomed Damon Salvatore, a crystal tumbler in his outstretched hand overflowing with golden vitae.