nine, liar

❝ Who's Talia Hale? ❞

☽ ✰ ☾

     Rubbing her eyes, Luna yawned as she parked her car in front of the video store. She had just gotten off the phone with Lukas, who had begged her to rent a movie. Since their parents and Hayley were gone for the night, the Calavera siblings decided to have a sleepover in the living room. Luna was reluctant to leave them alone for a few minutes, but with Lukas turning fourteen in five days, she trusted that they wouldn't burn the house down.

She exited her car, shivering at the cold air hitting her cheeks. The parking lot seemed creepy at night, with only three cars as company. A soft tune announced her arrival as Luna stepped inside the store. She looked for the right movie, moving between the alleys swiftly. Her eyes brightened upon finding the first Avengers DVD. The second one was beside it, and Luna decided to take both. The kids' school was closed tomorrow. They had enough time to watch them.

     Just as she was about to walk to the counter, the last person she wanted to encounter asked loudly, "Can someone help me find the notebook?"

Luna was unfortunate to find Jackson standing like an idiot in the middle of the store. "Sorry, Jackass," she spoke, seeing him roll his eyes at her presence, "but except us, it seems that no one else is here."

     "Um, not really," a seemingly younger voice announced. The teenagers turned around, finding a thirteen-year-old girl hiding behind a shelf. "Do you need any help?"

Luna smiled kindly at her. "You're Valkyrie, right? Scott's sister?" Valkyrie nodded. "You work here? Scott said you worked at the clinic."

     "Well, I only have one shift at the clinic and two here," Valkyrie informed her. "Is there anything I can help with?"

"There's another McCall?" Jackson asked with his usual arrogance and rudeness. "Whatever. Where can I find the notebook?"

     Valkyrie's eyes shifted from one shelf to another. "Probably over —"

A loud noise made the three spin around. Upon noticing the growing fear in Valkyrie's eyes, Luna pushed the girl behind her as her senses awoke. She looked at Jackson, the two slowly advancing toward two fallen shelves. They saw two shoes on the floor, the toes pointing to the ceiling. Once closer, Luna's breathing was cut short at the sight of a dead worker. Keeping her heart stable, she sniffed the air. When the smell of blood reached her nose along another strong scent, she quickly dragged Valkyrie and Jackson behind a shelf.

     The three crouched down, their backs against the shelf. Jackson tried to steady his breathing while Luna tucked a shaking Valkyrie under her arm. She guessed being an older sister was the cause for her sudden protectiveness over the young girl. Turning her head, Luna shone her eyes. Dread filled her as she spotted the Alpha in another alley.