one, cursed town

❝ You're Luna, right? ❞

     A common fear a lot of people share is darkness. Or what hides in the dark. When they find themselves lost in a dark place, their courage is quickly replaced by this very fear of everything they can't perceive. The scientists named it nyctophobia and claimed it could affect anyone in any age range.

But for Luna, nyctophobia was what she called her own fear of the darkness hidden inside her mind. She knew there was something wrong going on with her, mainly because of the voices that accompanied her everywhere she went. They never left, and soon, she learned to be scared of the things they made her do if she was to give them control over her body. Who they were and what they wanted, Luna still couldn't figure it out.

     Waking up drenched in sweat from another nightmare, Luna tossed her blanket aside and put on a red hoodie left on the ground. She slowly turned the doorknob, her bedroom door creaking slightly as it opened. She ensured her siblings were still sleeping before strolling down the stairs and sliding into the kitchen, her fluffy socks making the action easier. Gripping the counter when she bumped into an unpacked box, Luna grabbed the leftovers her mother forgot to put in the fridge and sat by the kitchen island.

Ever since moving to this random town lost in California, the teenage girl hadn't gotten proper sleep. Beacon Hills had this scary effect on her. It put her senses on edge whenever she left her house. Luna wondered whether it was due to the fact she was just a paranoid type of person or if, similarly to New York and her hometown in Mexico, Beacon Hills hid many terrifying secrets.

     Jumping at the sound of a door opening, Luna relaxed as she watched Tara Calavera trying to enter the house as quietly as possible. The woman was still dressed in her hospital gown, her dark hair hardly remaining in the low bun she had done before leaving for her night shift. She threw her bag on the couch, sighing in relief. 

"Rough night?" Luna inquired.

     Tara took off her shoes and walked toward the kitchen to grab a fork. She joined Luna at the table, undoing her bun. "Being a surgeon sucks. Fortunately, rarely anything happens in Beacon Hills." She leaned against her fist as she ate, then seemed to realize her daughter was still awake despite the clock showing one in the morning. "Why are you up?"

"This town has me on edge," Luna admitted, her knee bouncing up and down under the table. "I had a nightmare, but I'm sure it's just the stress of going to a new school, even though I'm used to it by now."

     One thing to know about Luna's mother was that she wasn't related to Luna. Legally, Tara was just Luna's stepmother, but the girl thought of her as the mother she never had since her biological one left on her third birthday. Luna couldn't remember anything about this woman or that specific day, yet the pain in her father's eyes when she asked for details was enough proof. It didn't bother her much anymore, though. Not with Tara in her life.