Chapter Seventeen

There was an uneasy silence as we made our way back. The guards had closed whatever space they had between me and I found myself moving steadily in a real coat of arms. A man to my left, right, front and behind. As though they expected Eddergan to just pop out of the trees and, tsk, I don't know, shoot me with an arrow.

        The guard behind me jabbing me with his finger every time I failed to keep up with their pace.

        Though annoyed with this I found myself equally distracted.

        The idea that I would have to explain what happened to Veldore made my spine crumble in fear. I couldn't be sure what his reaction would be both to me and to his guards.

        In fact I was more worried for the guards than myself, he would not be happy that they almost allowed Eddergan to defile me and then let him escape on top of that. However I knew it was not that easy. Eddergan was monstrously powerful both by bone and strength in voice. It would take more than six guards to take him down, if not an army.

        Suddenly I caught a scent in the air and fell to a sudden stop.

        The guard behind me bumped into me slightly and gave me a light shove indicating for me to go forward  however I stayed frozen. Then the guards caught onto the scent.

        "I'm so sorry Cinde we had to call his majesty." That was the first time any of the guards had called me by my first name and it certainly caught my attention. He must have been terrified for such a slip up to happen. I felt my feet turn to lead.

        "Couldn't you h-have called him later?" I stuttered as fear slipped into my system and refused my legs the energy to move.

        "We couldn't, I'm not sure what happened to Eddergan but we obviously can't protect you from him and for your own safety we need his majesty to be here to protect you or know to look for you if we do not return."

        I felt the guard behind attempt to shove me slightly however I refuse to move forward. In fact the scent of anger and frustration was so strong it almost made me want to turn back and run. "A-are you not afraid of what he might do to you?"

        The soldier who I was talking to bumped into my left side slightly and hung his head low giving a somewhat resigned expression. "Whatever he does will be nothing less than we deserve."

        "No no-" I began however was cut short by the overwhelming atmosphere of rage I felt as a large black haired wolf bounded towards us at a distance, its fur wind swept and ruffled, its eyes dark with obvious anger.

        Even through the night, so thick with darkness, he seemed almost radiant in my eyes.

        Anger infected the air.

        My blood ran cold and in submission I fell to the floor and transformed, then upon instinct turned and ducked between the guards and ran.

        My paws caught on the remainders of my clothing as I pushed every ounce of my strength into my legs. My mind clouded over in fear and nothing but the sound of his leaping paws filled my ears as I pulled my way through brambles and thicke.

        It was but seconds before I felt his body collide with my own and the sound of loud growling filled my ears. My body froze up and I just laid still beneath him panting slightly at my loss of breath, my heart shattering my rib cage.