Zayn's mother came over and grabbed her daughter's hand. "It's time for us to stop standing around now, honey. Come on, let's go into the kitchen. You and I are going to finish making my Chocolate Coconut Banoffee Pie."

*

*

*

"I still cannot believe it's after eleven o'clock and she isn't home." Patricia fussed as she and Zayn dried the dishes. Harry and Yaser were in the living room having their own conversation.

"I told you she texted me during dinner, mum. She's staying over her friend's house tonight."

"Yeah, I know that. But I don't get why she didn't text me. I'm her mother you know..."

Zayn chuckled. "It's alright. She just knew I was here and told me to tell you. Plus you've always overreacted with the girls."

Her mother playfully poked her, knowing she was right. "You're right. But the only reason I'll let you say that about me is because I never had much trouble out of you. You were a good girl. You mostly stayed with Harry and he kept you out of trouble."

Suddenly, she perked up and leaned over to Zayn, speaking in a very low tone. "Speaking of Harry, he's been around for an awful long time. When are you two gonna be a thing?"

Zayn frowned. "What?"

"You know... A thing. You're twenty six, Veronica. Haven't you thought about looking for a partner yet?"

Zayn sat the dish down and put a hand across her chest. "Mum... You can't be serious. Harry is my best friend." She whispered back.

She smiled. "I know that, sweetie. But that's all the more reason for him to be of good quality because you already know him well, right? I mean, look at him. He drove you here just to make sure you got here safely. I'm sure it wasn't just to see us. And he was such a gentleman to carry your bag in earlier."

Zayn groaned and picked up a glass to dry. "Mum, please. I'm older than Harry anyway."

"Age doesn't matter, dear. And what's a couple of weeks anyway? Nothing."

"It's three weeks. And I don't think you understand me. I don't want to think about Harry in that way at all. Why are you doing this?"

"I'm just saying." She sat a newly dried dish off to the side. "Doniya is married but refuses to give me a grandchild. But then I look at you who's had Harry since your Junior year and there's no ring on your finger and there is no baby bump." She reached over and touched Zayn's stomach, which made her jump back and nearly drop the glass she'd picked up.

"Mum, stop it. This is not funny. I'm not kidding. And if you think for one second that Harry and I will ever end up being a thing, then you are--" She stopped when she saw Harry entering the kitchen out of the corner of her eye.

"Uhm, Mrs. Patricia?"

"Yes, sweetheart?"

"I wanted to thank you for the meal and for desert. It was delicious as always."

She smiled brightly. "Oh, you are such a gentleman to thank the lady of the house. But Veronica helped me too. I haven't really seen her cook in a while but she seems to be a pretty good cook."

He walked all the way in, nodding his head and Zayn went back to drying the dishes so she could hide the embarrassment in her face.

"Yeah. She is. Sometimes she cooks for me back home whenever I come by."

"Oh really?"

"Yes ma'am. And sometimes we have these little competitions where we see who can cook a certain dish better. I'm not ready to reveal exactly how many times she's beaten me in that though."