4th of July

The sun shines through the window opposite my bed and tickles my nose. I yawn and slowly sit up in bed. I slept surprisingly well that night and hardly felt the jet lag. For once I didn't dream anything and I have to say it was really restful. I take my mobile phone from the bedside table and check my messages. A new message from Nick.

Nick: Good Morning Lia!❣️I hope you slept well. I look forward to see u later. It's good to have you back.

Lia: Good morning Nick. Yup. See you later.

I am definitely not in the mood to text with Nick and also definitely not in the mood to pretend that everything is as usual. I put my phone aside and make my way to the bathroom. I desperately need a hot shower. I let the warm water run over my body and can forget everything for a few minutes. I wash my hair, my body and give myself a full body shave. Freshly showered, I squeeze into a denim dress with an off-the-shoulder top with the US flag. Today is the 4th of July, after all.

From downstairs I hear the cooker fan and the clattering of dishes. I make my way down the stairs and the smell of waffles and pancakes hits my nose. "Mhh, that smells delicious," I grin and see Joe and Sophie standing in the kitchen. "We thought today we could all have a typical American breakfast," Sophie says and smiles at me. "Absolutely. My last one was at Christmas and that was definitely too long ago. Good morning you two," I grin even wider and sit down at the counter in the kitchen. "Is there anything I can help you with?"

"Good morning Lia! No it's all ready, grab a cup of coffee and sit at the table.", Joe walks past me with a pan in his hand and points his head towards the coffee machine. I don't need to be told twice. I love coffee. Coffee is my guilty pleasure. I grab a cup and sit down at the big table in the living room. On the table is everything my heart desires. Waffles, pancakes, fruit, eggs and toast.

"Wow, you guys have really dished it up. Thank you.", I say and bite into my waffle with relish. "Mhhh this tastes so good. It's better than sex," I laugh. Sophie and Joe start laughing too. "Food is good pumpkin but nothing is better than sex. You just can't remember it's been too long.",he grins and I give him a pat on the back of his head. " Ey my sex life is none of your business." "Luckily it is my business," Sophie grins proudly and bites into her waffle too. "Why exactly did I introduce you two again? I should have known you'd team up against me," Joe rolls his eyes and laughs. Sophie and I laugh as well. " Well no one guessed we'd be best friends, babe," Sophie smirks and gives Joe a kiss.

The three of us sit at the table for another hour, chatting happily. After breakfast, I help Sophie with the cleaning and washing up while Joe starts preparing the garden for the party. Flags and balloons are hung and the barbecue is prepared. Sophie and I put cushions on the sunbeds by the pool and prepare the bar and buffet. Around 3pm, Sophie and I head to her dressing room and start putting on our make-up. We listen to loud music from the 90s and sing along.

"Well girls, are you having fun?", Joe comes into the room with two glasses and a bottle of wine in his hand. "I thought you girls needed a drink," he grins and hands us the glasses.

"THANK YOU!", Sophie and I exclaim at the same time and start giggling loudly.

"You two are really crazy girls. The others will be here soon hurry up!"

We just nod and keep giggling. Sophie and I are having super fun, chatting and finishing up. The bottle of wine is empty when the doorbell rings downstairs. And Sophie and I are definitely drunk. We storm down the stairs giggling and greet the first guests stormily. Joe's parents, Frankie, Kevin, Danielle and the kids, plus a few more family friends. I'm so happy to see everyone again that the alcohol and adrenaline are pumping me up.

Sophie and I are dancing wildly in the garden to old Jonas Brothers songs when Nick and Pri arrive. Nick grins at me and I have to grin too. The alcohol makes all my worries disappear and I run towards him. "NICKY!", I squeal his name and jump on his arm. My hands clutch around his neck and my legs wrap around his torso. I am just happy.

"I'm happy to see you too," Nick smirks and hugs me tightly. "Are you drunk already?" Pri grins at me and pats me on the shoulder. But nothing can change my mood. "Hello Pri. Actually, you're right," I grin and break away from Nick. "Do you want something tasty too?", I point towards the bar where Joe is mixing some cocktails. "Sure," Nick takes my hand and we walk together to the bar. Pri stops at the patio door and turns to Denise and Kevin.

The afternoon and evening went great. Sophie, Joe and I were totally drunk before dinner and entertained all the guests properly. I told Denise, Kevin Sr, Danielle and Kevin all about Germany, played catch with Alena and Valentina and helped Frankie shooting Tik Toks. Nick and I talked a lot and it felt like usual. Pri let off a few stupid comments in between, but otherwise ignored me. Which was ok for me. Until now.

The alcohol in my blood has reached its peak. I sit between Nick and Joe and we all watch the fireworks together. The colourful lights, the romantic mood and the couples in love around me suddenly make me feel all sad. Silent at first, a tear rolls down my cheek. How I would wish to be loved right now. How I would also like to have a partner by my side at this moment. I sob loudly and more tears roll down my face. Nick next to me breaks away from his kiss with Pri and looks at me. "Hey what's up?" His question makes me cry even more and I can feel panic starting to set in. My hands start shaking, my crying gets stronger and my breathing uncontrollable. Nick takes me in his arms. "Take a deep breath Lia. Everything is fine I am with you." Everyone is looking at me now and I have to cry even more. I can't say anything, my voice is silent and panic takes over my body.

"She and you aren't serious right now are you?" Pri stands up and looks at us angrily. "Lia you have to break every moment, don't you? I don't know what's so terrible in your life that you always, literally always have to destroy everything. Sometimes I have the feeling you just want Nick's attention," her voice gets louder. All the guests look at her in shock. Nick breaks away from me and takes Priyanka's hand. "Pri, calm down honey!", He stands up and takes her in his arms. I sob. Joe then pulls me into his arm and rubs my back soothingly.

"Come on Nick, let's go." Priyanka takes Nick's hand and pulls him behind her. "Bye everyone!" Nick calls out and follows her without looking at me again.

I sob even louder. I feel betrayed. Sophie kneels in front of me and runs her hand through my hair. "Lia, it's going to be okay. We're here for you." I still can't speak, I sob, cry and tremble. Until at some point I have no more energy and fall asleep.