Prologue: Out of the Storm

A baby no more than two days old was drifting in the thrashing seas during a storm. She laid in a woven basket surrounded by a sphere of water to protect her and to keep her above the waves that were higher than ten meters. Though the basket and water magic were keeping her alive, she was screaming and crying in distress. She was screaming so loud that the thunder seemed quiet in comparison. The girl had been drifting for an hour and the water magic keeping her safe was wearing off and soon she'd be engulfed by the storm and the raging waters. Suddenly a circle of light tore through the dark grey clouds and shined on the girl below. A figure with wings slowly descended towards her and calmed the water below.

"Poor little one, how did you end up like this? A mother should never leave their child so afraid and alone." the figure said while hovering in the sky.

The baby looked at the figure with a straight face, however, her eyes were big and bright blue and as she continued to look, the figure could not help but stare into them. Out of nowhere, the baby started to cry again, wailing her arms and legs.

"There, There, sweet child. There's no need to fret."

The figure picked the baby up and held her close in an embrace that made her feel warm but also safe.

"I'm going to help you the best I can, my darling. Unfortunately, I can't take you and raise you as my own, but I will get you to someone who can. I, Rafaeru, will bless you and give you magic so that you are strong and grow up in the likeness of me, as if you were my own. Perhaps one day we will see each other again, but for now, this is goodbye my little one."

Rafaeru set the girl down in the basket and put both of his hands out in front of him. Out from the hole in the clouds came a wooden staff. As it descended into Rafaeru's hands, a white orb on the top of it became visible. He used his magic to shrink it and he laid it next to her. With the pointing of his finger, he then used his magic to carve the letter 'R' into the side of the basket.

"Goodbye for now." he said heavy heartedly.

Rafaeru flew back and blew a tremendous amount of air towards the front of the basket. The basket rose in the sky and began to move across the ocean slowly but steadily. When the basket was no longer in Rafaeru's view, a small grin came onto his face. He turned away and flew upwards through the hole in the clouds, disappearing with the light.