Chapter 16

A Vase Incident

Whitehaven Castle, Cumberland

While members of the staff prepared the Duke and Duchess of Kent and Strathearn's carriages with all their luggage, Charlotte and Benedict chose to spend time with their family. And after a long breakfast, the two walked around the castle one last time before they had to depart to London.

"Your Royal Highnesses," the Duke and Duchess turned around and saw Martin standing firmly behind them. "Everything is ready for whenever you wish to leave."

"Thank you, Martin," Benedict nodded with a smile. "Perhaps in an hour or two? It is eight o'clock in the morning. Let everyone eat and...do their business before we leave."

"Very well, sir. Ma'am," Martin nodded at both of them before bowing his head and walking away.

"I see you are now giving a few orders around," Charlotte teased him, and he scoffed. "How does it feel?"

"Do not get comfortable with it," he chuckled and looked at her. "I rather hear you say it. You look quite attractive when you are authoritative."

"Very well," she looked away when she felt her cheeks flushing.

"Anyway, has Frederica mentioned the reason why she doesn't have a 'princess' title anymore?" He asked his wife, and she nodded. "What? How could she?"

"She told me yesterday," Charlotte was confused at her husband's reaction. "Why? Is there a problem?"

"She told me she would tell me too," he stated calmly. "I feel highly betrayed."

"Do not overreact, my love," his wife chuckled. "I'm sure she will tell you eventually."

"You know what? I'm going to go and find her," he quickly cupped her face in his hands and pressed a long kiss on her lips. "I'll see you later, my darling."

"Alright," she giggled as he pulled away and started jogging away from her. "I love you!"

"I love you more!" He exclaimed back as he continued jogging across the hall.

"Such a child," Charlotte told herself with a smile as she walked away as well.

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

After walking down the stairs and coming across George and Henry who were chasing one another, he finally found himself at the garden's entrance. The Duchess of Cumberland was sitting under a tree reading a book. Benedict was hesitant at first, finding a right way to ask her, so, he chose to just do it.

"Your Grace," he cleared his throat, and she looked up at him as she placed her book aside.

"Ihre königliche Hoheit," Frederica smirked. Your Royal Highness. "If you are looking for your wife, Sir, I must inform you that I have not seen her since early this morning."

"I just left my wife's side," he said, and she raised an eyebrow at him. "I was looking for you."

"I'm flattered," the Duchess of Cumberland chose to tease him. "But I am married."

"Indeed. Just as me, see?" He giggled as he showed her the ring in his left hand's finger. "All I want is to converse."

"If so, then here I am," she chuckled as he offered her his hand and helped her stand. "What can I do for you, Benedict?"