Chapter 25

Falling Apart

Maidstone, Kent

The next day, everything was quiet. Except for the 'good mornings' exchanged when they woke up, the Duke and Duchess of Kent have not said much of a word to one another. The only thing on their minds was that 'talk' they had to have. The Duchess couldn't stop thinking about it. What would they talk about? What could be so urgent? On the other hand, the Duke was trying to find the right words to say what he really wanted to say.

Neither of them were sure, but they think it was the first time since they met that the silence between them was so uncomfortable. They were seating so far apart, each at the end of the table, with a centerpiece slightly covering theirselves. The only thing that could be heard were the noise of the utensils.

"Your Royal Highnesses," Thomas walked in the dining room, bowed before the Duke and Duchess before continuing. "It is time for your meeting with Lord Kinsley, Ma'am."

"Already?" Charlotte wiped her mouth with her napkin before nodding. "Of course. I will be there in a moment."

"Have you even finished eating, Char?" Benedict asked her in disbelief.

"Yes, I have, Benny," she stated calmly. "Unfortunately for this delicious food, I did not have much appetite this morning anyway."

"Will you take long?" Benedict asked her.

"Hopefully, no. After all, there is so much I must do today," she got up from her chair and lightly sighed. "And that includes the private talk you and I must have."

"Thank you...for fitting me in your schedule..." He muttered the last part.

"Ma'am?" Their Private Secretary called for her again.

"Just a second," Charlotte walked over to her husband, who remained seated. "I will send someone to fetch you once the meeting is over. If not, I will come and get you myself. But, my love... I promise I will do nothing else before you and I talk, alright?"

"Alright," he softly smiled, sincerely. "Thank you, my angel."

"Of course," his wife leaned down and kissed his forehead.

It took him by surprise when the Duchess licked her thumb before wiping it through his bottom lip, cleaning a little bit of the strawberry marmalade that stayed on his lips. She placed her thumb inside her mouth and tasted the marmalade. The surprise look on his face made her smirk a bit. And she did it all without a warning.

However, after a few seconds, her small smirk faded, the reminded of 'the urgent talk' traveled through her mind again. The Duke noticed the change in his wife's face, and did what felt right in the moment.

Without a warning as well, he grabbed her dress, just above her breast, literally pulled her down towards him, and brought her lips to his. It was an innocent kiss, but still held the reassurance of the love they shared for one another. After all, the two tried to transmit all that love in that kiss.

"Your Royal Highnesses—"

"We are not in public, Tommy!" Benedict groaned with annoyance and pulled away from the kiss as he let go of his wife's dress. Charlotte giggled with slight embarrassment but stayed closed to him nonetheless. "I'm starting to think it is you who does not like my display of affection with my wife."