23 ~ the great lady of new york

Everyone took their seats in Mr. Matthews' class. 

He stood in front of the chalk board as he said, "The Statue of Liberty, the Great Lady of New York has been speaking loud and clear since 1885. Anybody know what she's trying to say? Maya?"

Maya looked up and just smiled.

"Should I just talk?" Farkle said.

"No," Maya said, "I'm sick of people thinking Farkle's smarter than I am."

"Here comes fun," Riley smiled.

Maya turned around and faced Farkle.

"Name one thing about the Statue of Liberty that you know that I don't," Maya said.

"She was a gift of friendship from..."

"Cathy," Maya said.

"We got her right after..."

"Cathy didn't want her anymore," Maya said.

Harley smiled as he watched.

"What does she stand for?" Farkle asked.

"Because Cathy took her chair," Maya said.

"Boy, that Cathy, huh," Farkle said, going along, "what a hoot."

"She's not real, genius, I made her up," Maya smiled. She scoffed. "I'm so smarter than you."

"You are. You really are."

The two made faces at each other.

"Welcome to Cultural Week, people," Mr. Matthews said. "The school is throwing a cultural fair to celebrate who we are and where we came from. Anybody here taking part?"

A few students raised their hands and Harley was one of them.

He pointed at one of the students who raised their hands.

"My grandma's gonna have a booth at the fair, Mr. Matthews," Nigel said.

"That's great, Nigel," Mr. Matthews smiled. "What culture will you be celebrating?"

"She was originally from Cambodia," Nigel said, "she escaped and lived in the Philippines, then she came here."

"Did you know that about him?" Riley asked Maya.

"It surprises me when any of these guys talk," Maya admitted. "Harley?" 

"Hm?" he said, dropping his pencil.

He was turning his pencil around in his fingers, not fully paying attention.

"Yes?" he said.

"Did you know that about Nigel?"

"His grandmother was from Cambodia and escaped to the Philippines before coming here? Yeah," he nodded.

"You talk to them?" Riley said.

"Yeah," Harley nodded.

"And that's exactly what makes America so unique," Mr. Matthews said. "We all come from exotic locals and fascinating traditions."

"Well, where are we from?" Riley asked her father.

"Philly."

"What's our fascinating tradition?"

"Cream cheese," Mr. Matthews smiled.

"So I'm the great lady of cream cheese?" Riley asked, bothered. "I want a better tradition please," she requested.

"Funny you should say that," Mr. Matthews said.

"Funny, 'haha' funny, or funny..." she groaned, "'yay' funny?"