Twenty-Nine

Maine was the last stop on Richie's tour. They figured they owed it to themselves to go and visit Derry for what might be the last time.

They were surprised by how bright everything seemed, like a dark cloud had been lifted. They traced their histories together, wandering along the kissing bridge, climbing down the quarry cliff face to sit on their island in the sky, poking their heads into the deserted arcade.

They found the hideout in the ground and were baffled and delighted to see it so clean. The old posters had been torn down, the floors swept. There were new games and toys stashed in the corners. The hammock was still standing, clean and well used, with a cushion at one end. This was a safe space for some other group of Losers now.

They walked past the school, the library, the synagogue, the Chinese restaurant, the movie theatre. They walked up to the Niebolt house and stood in front of it. There was a picket sign which read: Condemned.

'I'll say,' Richie scoffed.

As they walked back into the residential area, Eddie stopped outside his old house. 'Do you remember when you climbed that tree?' he pointed.

Richie smiled, 'Yeah. Your mom wasn't letting you see us after you broke your arm, so I basically broke in.'

'That was the first time I thought that maybe you felt the same way about me as I did for you,' Eddie said.

'That was the day I put the carving on the bridge,' Richie said.

They kept walking and soon, Richie's old house came into view. Richie didn't stop.

Eddie's brow furrowed, 'Didn't your dad move back to Derry a few years ago, after your mom died?'

Richie slaked his tongue over his lips. 'Uh, yeah. He did.'

'Is he coming to see the show?' Eddie asked tentatively.

Richie pulled a face, 'Ew, no. I'm his kid. You've heard the content of my show, right?' he joked.

Eddie stood in front of him so that he couldn't keep strolling. 'Are we seeing him at all?'

Richie avoided his gaze, 'No, I don't think so.'

'Why not?' Eddie asked gently, but Richie said nothing. 'Does he even know we're here?'

'No, Eddie,' Richie said, exasperated. 'If he keeps up with my tour dates, then he'll know we're in Maine, but no, I didn't tell him I was coming to Derry.' He paused. 'I haven't spoken to him since,' he bit his lip, 'well, since you and I became public knowledge.'

Eddie felt his insides solidify. 'Oh. Have you tried calling?'

Richie clenched his jaw. 'Yeah, I tried. He didn't pick up.'

'Richie,' Eddie said quietly. 'Why didn't you tell me?'

He shrugged. 'I don't know. We weren't exactly close after I moved to New York. He's not been a big part of my adult life and I'm okay with that.'

'Why?' Eddie asked.

Richie sighed, 'Mom made it clear before I left that she wouldn't accept me for who I am. Then she died and that's one of the last memories I have of her. I'd just rather not have that conversation with my dad. I can't hear it again.'

Eddie lowered his head, 'Right.'

'Surely you of all people can understand that sometimes parents aren't who you want them to be,' Richie swallowed.

'Richie?' came a voice from somewhere behind them.

Richie froze still. There was a shining fear in his eyes that Eddie hadn't seen for nearly a year. He turned around, 'Hi, Dad.'