Twenty-Seven

'Richie!' Eddie called from the bedroom.

'What?' Richie asked, marching towards the door. He adjusted the cuff links on his shirt. He walked in to see Eddie standing in front of the mirror in his own, brand new tuxedo. He whistled, 'You always did look better than me in a tux.'

'And I still haven't learned how to tie a fucking bowtie.' Eddie spat, frustrated. 'Can you do it?'

Richie swanned over and span Eddie around, pulling the bowtie out of his hands as he did so. 'Sure.'

Eddie looked him up and down. 'You look,' he breathed.

'Clean?' Richie asked, reliving their prom night in stark clarity. He ran his hands down Eddie's lapels.

Eddie smiled, 'I was gonna say great. But now that you mention it,' he agreed.

'Fuck off,' Richie said, kissing him. He ran his hand through Eddie's hair.

Eddie slapped it away, 'Stop it, I spent ages getting it to look right.'

Richie rolled his eyes. 'Are you ready? Think the limo's already outside.'

'I'm a little nervous, Rich,' he admitted, pulling at his collar. 'All those people. All those cameras.'

Richie waved dismissively, opening the front door. 'Don't worry about them. You're so short that people might not even notice you.'

Eddie lowered his eyelids.

Richie slid his hand into Eddie's, 'You're gonna look great in the pictures. There will be cheering and clapping. We spend the evening with some amazing people and then we come back home together. I'm really excited, Eds.'

Seeing Richie so buzzing, love and pride dancing in his eyes, warm smile plastered across his face, Eddie relaxed. He squeezed Richie's hand. 'Okay, I can do this. You and me.'

'You and me,' Richie agreed, and they walked up to the car.

'Hey!' Bill cried when they opened the limousine door. He was wearing a grey suit, his arm wrapped around Audra, who looked radiant in a red gown.

The four of them shared a drink in the back of the car. Eddie thought about how he had once considered becoming a celebrity limousine driver. Now, he got to ride around in the back of one.

'God, Richie, I just loved your new show,' Audra gushed. 'I could hardly breathe I was laughing so hard. What was that line I just loved?' she asked Bill.

Bill thought, 'It was: I don't understand why people have been so surprised that I'm bisexual. Of course I couldn't limit myself to fucking only half the adult population.'

Richie chuckled, 'I must admit, it feels good to write my own stuff again. The support from the fans has been incredible. My friends too.' There was a lump in his throat as he thought about his father. He hadn't heard a word from him.

'This is your first time at an awards show, I'm guessing, Eddie?' Audra asked, placing her hand on Eddie's jiggling knee.

'Yeah,' Eddie nodded. 'I don't know what to expect.'

Audra chuckled, 'Expect to have fun.'

The car pulled up to the red carpet. Richie took Eddie's hand. 'You ready?'

'Not at all,' Eddie gulped, then the door opened.

Richie started to wave at the crowd. Eddie gripped tightly onto his hand, startled and blinded by the flashes of the camera. Bill and Audra stepped out behind them, posing, answering questions from the reporters about who made Audra's dress.