Twenty-Four

Richie stood at the airport gate, regularly looking at his watch. After spending a few months together in New York City, he now hadn't seen Eddie in two weeks, having come back to LA to meet with his managers whilst Eddie finalised the details of his divorce from Myra. Eddie had promised to fly out to meet him once the papers were signed.

'Aren't you Richie Tozier?' a girl cried, rushing up to him. She was chewing pink bubble-gum.

Richie started. 'Uh, yeah, hi.' Periodically, he darted glances at the gate exit.

She squealed, 'Oh my gosh, I am such a huge fan. Could I get a picture?'

He scratched the back of his neck, 'Sure, sure.'

The girl pulled out a phone bedazzled with rhinestones and held it up to take a picture of them both. As the camera flashed, Eddie emerged from customs with his suitcase and cabin bag.

Richie hollered, 'Eddie!'

Eddie beamed when he saw Richie and started to walk over. 'Hey, Rich.' He was about to go in for a kiss when he noticed the blonde beside him.

'Oh my gosh, are you famous too?' the girl asked. She raised her camera and took another picture.

Eddie coughed, 'No, no, I'm not a celebrity.'

The girl shrugged and turned back to Richie. 'Thanks. Can't wait for the next tour!' then she flounced away.

Proudly, Eddie smiled, 'I guess I'm gonna have to get used to people recognising you.'

He wished that he could kiss Richie now, but he wasn't sure if he should whilst his fans were around. Eddie knew that the comedian Trashmouth was a persona, but the world didn't. They hadn't talked about how their relationship might affect Richie's work and public image.

'I'm still not used to it,' Richie admitted. 'Come on, I've got a car out front.'

Eddie widened his eyes as they spotted the sleek black vehicle, chauffeur in the driver's seat, tinted windows. As Richie opened the door for him, he asked, 'Is this how you live every day?'

Richie laughed and climbed in after him, slamming the door. 'Not at all, but it's your first time in LA.' He laced his hand with Eddie's and leaned over to kiss him. 'And I really want you to like it.'

He reached behind himself and fetched a bottle of champagne and two glasses. He popped it; bubbles fizzed over the neck.

'You've pulled out all the stops,' Eddie said, feeling giddy. Nobody had ever made such an effort for him before.

Richie grinned, 'What should we toast? Your divorce?'

Eddie lowered his eyelids, 'Maybe not.'

'Your mom?' Richie suggested, and Eddie slapped him. He softened, smiling, 'To you and me, then.'

Eddie raised his glass, 'You and me.'

They drove and drank. Eddie peered out of the window at the passing California sites as he recounted stories from the past couple of weeks away. Richie couldn't tear his eyes from Eddie, so glad to see him again, his heart pounding at the thought of having Eddie in his LA home.

Richie's house was gated, white, with modest grounds stuffed with shrubbery. It looked like a single floor from the driveway, with kitchen, living space and master bedroom, but there was a second floor hollowed into the ground where Richie had a second bedroom, a home cinema system and a bar.

'Fuck me,' Eddie breathed as he stepped through the front door, gawping at the high ceilings, the monochrome décor.

'God, Eddie, control yourself for two minutes,' Richie joked, coming up behind him and wrapping his arms around Eddie's waist. He leaned down to kiss Eddie's neck.

'There is no fucking way you designed this yourself,' Eddie commented.

Richie snorted, 'Fuck no. I had so much help. It's not normally quite this clean either, but I knew you were coming and would roast me if it wasn't.'

Eddie wandered through the kitchen, pulling out drawers and opening the fridge, humming to himself. He poked his head into the bedroom, then the bathroom. He flopped down on the sofas at the far end of the room.

'You like it?' Richie asked, sitting down beside him.

Eddie chuckled, 'I fucking love it.'

'Good,' Richie exhaled, then held up his hand. There was a key in it.

'What's this?' Eddie asked, his throat closing.

'Move in with me?' Richie babbled. 'I know it's a big step, and I know that you have a life in New York and a job and we'd have to get your stuff over here and –'

'Beep beep, Richie,' Eddie said, kissing him to stop him talking. 'I'd love to.'

Richie's heart skipped, 'Wait, really?'

'Yeah, why? Didn't you mean it?' Eddie scoffed.

Richie clasped his hands either side of Eddie's face. 'Course I fucking do. I love you so much.'

Eddie smiled, 'I love you too, Rich.' He took the key from Richie's hand. It glinted in the light.

'Are you sure?' Richie checked, nervous that he was putting too much pressure on Eddie too quickly.

He nodded, 'I'm sure. Maybe I can get a job that was invented after fun,' he jested. 'Besides, I don't really have anything tying me to New York anymore. And,' he screwed up his nose, 'I really do want to live with you. I may have been hoping you'd ask.'

Richie felt like he could burst. He kissed Eddie hard, pushing him backwards until his head leant against the armrest, pinning him down. Eddie's hands ran up Richie's back and started to tug at his shirt.

'I've missed you,' Richie growled as his shirt slipped over his head.

Eddie hitched his knee between Richie's thighs to haul him closer, 'I've missed you too.'

Richie removed Eddie's shirt and planted kisses across his chest, biting at Eddie's neck. Eddie moaned, so Richie bit harder.

'Fuck!' Eddie yelped. He touched the tender skin, 'Did you just give me a fucking hickey?'

Richie leant back to admire his handiwork. He laughed darkly, 'Ha, fucking hell, I have as well.' He rubbed his thumb over the purple mark.

'Great,' Eddie said, his cheeks burning pink. 'Are you fourteen or something?'

'If I was, it'd be you that'd be in trouble, not me,' Richie noted. When he saw Eddie was still pouting, he appeased, 'Aw, come on. I was never allowed to give you a hickey when we were kids. Think of it as a rite of passage.'

Eddie tried to fight the smile, 'You are such an asshole.'

On the coffee table, Richie's phone vibrated. He leaned over to check the message. 'Okay, we have about an hour and then we need to get ready.'

Eddie furrowed his brow. 'For what?'

'Dinner reservation,' Richie explained.

Eddie's breath hitched. 'You're full of surprises.'

'You have no idea,' Richie's eyes twinkled. 'Now, what are we going to do with the next hour?'

Eddie hummed and stroked Richie's bare shoulders. 'I can think of something.'