seventeen ; too late

Start from the beginning

"Yeah no problem"

We lingered on the line for a while until I ended the call with a frown. I stuffed my phone back into my bag, letting out a deep sigh as I turned back around and headed to our hotel.

I remember seeing a park earlier and I really just wanted to sit on the swings before I went back so I deiced to head there instead. The sidewalk got less crowded as I neared the park, I was glad because if another person bumped into me again I swear I would've gotten arrested for disturbing the peace.

I stood on the corner across from the park observing the surroundings. The playground was filled with children running and playing, enjoying their summer vacation. I smiled, remembering how Cody and I use to sneak out the house at night when we were little and go to the park. We would hide in the slides and tell each other little stories until our parents came looking for us. I miss Cody, I haven't seen him since I moved out and it hurt. He called me every weekend to check up on me but he couldn't exactly leave his studies to come and see me.But it still hurt because I fucking miss him.

I miss Nicki.

I miss Beth.

And I miss M-

I felt somebody bump into me, breaking my train of thoughts. I turned around quickly, ready to yell at the clumsy stranger but no words escaped from my mouth when I saw who it was.

"Hey Franks"

I felt my palms get sweaty, my heart beat increasing, my vision blurred.

"Michael"

He smiled, his hands stuffed in the pockets of his jean jacket. The sun was in his eyes causing one eye to close an the other to squint, I hated myself for thinking that was fucking adorable.

"Can we talk?"

I hesitated, should I say yes? Should I say no and tell him to fuck off? But what good would that do to me? I mean he wasn't the only one at fault, it was mostly my fault for the result of our friendship. But I had already apologized.

"Alright" I agreed, following him across the street towards a park bench.

I took a seat on the opposite side of the bench, as he rested his arms over his knees, head down.

"You guys were great last night" his voice sounded tense.

"Thanks" I replied blandly.

"I never knew you played the guitar"

"You never asked"

Silence.

"Listen Frankie, the last time I saw you-"

Pause.

"I didn't-"

Pause.

I looked at him, watching him struggling to find the right words. Finally he took a deep breathe, sat up and looked right into my eyes. I felt almost paralyzed under his stare.

"What I said to you, it was really harsh. I shouldn't have said them"

I scoffed.

"It hurt me to even say it, Frankie. I didn't know how I was suppose to react to the news. I mean you basically played all of us so technically I had a right to call you those names."

I got up abruptly. Michael looked surprised, guess he expected me to sit and listen to what he had to say.

"Bye Michael"

I turned to leave, but he grabbed my wrist "What do you expect me to say Frankie?"

I tired to pull away from him, my face getting hot.