SERENDIPITY prologue

• Dedicated to Tracy/Mike

                                                                                Serendipity

                                                                                    AGE: 9

                                        Based on true events, Names changed to protect identity.

                                     Endurance. That's all it took, and this would be over soon.

                                As I sat in the far corner of my mother's closet, I trembled at every slap, striving to keep my voice hushed. My hands covered my head, partially keeping her voice from seeping into my ears. I couldn't stand the sound of my mother's screams.

       My body shifted itself quietly towards the crack in the door. I watched in horror as my mom was beaten by my dad.

      What if he finds out I'm in here?

      I sat terrified thinking about the possible outcomes. Suddenly the voices subsided. All I could hear was the faint, jagged puffs of my mother. I stopped breathing and waited.

                              As I moved my head from the crack, the floor creaked. Game over.

                         The closet whipped open and I was dragged by my hair. I could hear my mother screaming for him to stop.

       "Daddy!!! Let go! Please don't hurt me!" I pleaded as I was dragged across the floor to my room. He flung my door open.

            "Shut up and stay in here!"He yelled, throwing me onto my bed. I sat in alarm as I heard the door lock from the other side. All at once the screams returned, along with shattered glass, and the smell of beer. I couldn't withstand this any longer.

                                                           ~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~'~

                     About three hours later, I heard the door open and shut, directing that my mother had left. Soon after my father did too. My stomach growled.

          "I'm so hungry...." I whispered to myself, dabbling with the hem of my half ripped shirt.

        I got up slowly, and rummaged around a bit to no avail, then sighed.

        Why me? I don't deserve this. I plopped down to the floor, put my knees to my head, and quietly started singing the song my grandmother would sing to me as a baby.

        "You are my sunshine, my only sunshine. You make me happy, when sky's are gray. You'll never know dear, how much I love you. Please don't take, my sunshine away." I silently let a tear slip as I remembered her.  No, I promised myself I wouldn't cry, I had to stay strong until this was over. But the question was, will it ever end?  

                      I got up a couple of minutes later and tried to open the door. Luckily my drunken father can't lock it all the way.

        I listened for footsteps. When I was sure it was clear, I walked into the kitchen and searched throughout the fridge for any remaints of food. In the end I came up with a peice of bread, water, and jelly. There were other things, but none edible.

            I went over to the kitchen table and sat.

           Slowly I spread the jelly onto the bread. I threw the knife into the sink, and looked at the other dishes piled high. They would take forever.

       After I finished my half Pb & j, I came back to my room, and picked up all of my clothes. Someone had to do the laundry.

                                                          ____________________________

                          Later that night, I had completed the following tasks : Dishes, laundry (every ones), cleaning every room except for my fathers, and picking up the shattered glass. The house looked almost normal except for a couple broken things, but they couldn't be fixed, so it was excusable.

         I got things ready for school the following day, and set them next to my bed, along with an alarm clock. Lots' to do for a nine year old right? But, this was a normal day in the household of the Lotar's. A normal day indeed.

       I, Katie Lotar, slowly drifted of into sleep, hoping the same thing I did every night. That this was all just a dream. But my wishes, NEVER come true.

                                           _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

                     OKAY! This is my new story, Serendipity. I know it's not much, but this chapter is kind of like a prologue. It is based on true events, but the names are changed. IT'S NOT BASED OFF ME. So I don't have all of the details, and it's a little fictional because I don't know everything. I don't know if her life was exactly like above, but I'm sure it's close. But the basis of the story is true. This whole story will be about her life, in my words, probably not exactly what happens. But like I said, the basis of the story is true. The whole story is not in a nine year old point of view. It goes as she ages. The ending of the story will not be true, because, in real life I don't know what's going on  with the main character right now. I don't know how it ends, so I'm going to make up my own ending. That's why I put BASED on true events. It's not going to be an entirely true story. But yea, I think you got the picture. Plus, I haven't written anything in a while, so I'm glad to post this. I hope you guys like it!! I'm putting a lot of effort towards this story. Sorry if it's a bit rushed -_-

aPpLe2630 ^^

PS. If you don't know what Serendipity means, here's the meaning.

Good luck in making unexpected and fortunate discoveries.

PSS. The picture to the right is just a picture of a little girl. A sad one.