xiv. afterlife

She scurried outside

She scurried outside. Her eyes widened in surprise at Shaw's corpse. He looked like a doll dragged by an invisible little girl. His head bowed, his arms stretched. It made her shudder, even worse, Erik held him in the air with the help of his mutation.

He ruined it. He ruined any chance he had with her at that exact moment. No more smiles and good mornings. No more reading to her when she couldn't sleep. They wouldn't quiz each other, attempt to dig deeper into the complex brains of theirs. No more Mr. Lensherr and Ms. Smirnov. They were meant to be lovers ripped by the death of today.

"Today our fighting stops," he yelled to them.

Irina jogged to the mutants, attempting to get a better look at him. She joined Alex's side, not sparing him a glance. Instead, her black orbs focused on the man with crimson blood dribbling down his nose falling to the ground. She wanted to shriek or yell at Erik to stop this, to please stop our fighting. Instead, she stayed still with her ice-cold face on display.

He flew out of the submarine, landing on the sand. His head wore a helmet, he looked hideous in it. "Take off your blinders, brother and sisters. The real enemy," he pointed to the sea, "is out there. I feel their guns pointing at us in the water. Their metal is targeting us. Americans," he looked at Irina, and his eyes softened, "Soviets, humans. United in their fear of the unknown." He stepped closer to the shore as he talked. "The neanderthals are running scared, my fellow mutants."

Irina ventured closer to Charles once more. She saw Gaia by his side, her eyes squinting at Erik. They'd been playing the piano yesterday with smiles. Now, here they were. Irina felt awful for her.

Erik turned his head to the side, "Go ahead, Charles." He set two fingers at his temple. "Tell me I'm wrong."

Charles removed his fingers as they shook. He flicked his head to the side and nodded at Moira, and she ran off to the jet.

Irina continued to stare at Erik. She gripped Gaia's shoulder softly for a moment, a sort of reassurance for the both of them. Her dark orbs turned mad, and she wanted to punch him as he taught her. Argue with him, tell him he was wrong. They were special, yes. But everyone else was too. Mutants were the future, meant for a future tangled with humans.

Blasts echoed in her ears. They fired, all ships released their missiles. They seemed like fireworks that headed straight towards her. Maybe she'll light up when she dies. They raced closer and closer until both Gaia and Erik held their hands out. Erik stopped the missiles midair. Gaia wrapped thick strings of water around them that connected to the ocean. If Erik let go, all she had to do is bring them in and let them explode underwater.

He gave the girl a small glimpse, "Gaia, let go!"

"You first," she struggled to say.

He twisted his hand, and Gaia's did too, she had to accommodate the water or else all the bombs would explode.