vi. babushka

The gas station smelled rotten, as if the underworld, filled with corpses, laid upon it

The gas station smelled rotten, as if the underworld, filled with corpses, laid upon it. Irina wanted to stop breathing but grabbed ruby roses. The petals layered with dew, and the plastic wrapped around them unclear, and old. Yet, she grabbed them, all of them. She continued to stack another on top of each other, over and over again. Until the casing was empty and her arms were not.

She took her time to walk to the countertop where a weary old man, with gray streaks intertwined with brown hair, expected her to pay for her mountain of sunny flowers.

"Who you buyin' all those flowers for, girl?" He asked. He began to write down the math problem needed to solve how much the roses cost.

She gave him a small, smug smile. "Someone very special, sir."

He glanced at her, shoving the pen into the creek between his ear and head. "Must be, eh."

She chuckled, her delighted sounds flowing into the air, becoming Aphrodite's prayers. "Must be."

"That be, uh, 50 dollars, miss."

Irina cringed, though her face showed no emotion. "I'll be back." She made her way out the door, still holding onto the roses as if every petal was a year to her life.

Before she could make it to the car filled with others like herself, Charles Xavier waited for her with currency in his hands. The sun shined on his bright, blue eyes, who were filled with amused disbelief.

"You know, he gave you a discount. Supposed to be 50 dollars and 50 cents."

"You're not paying," Irina stated.

"But I am. You-" he pointed a finger, "-have no money."

"I-" she sighed. "I suppose you're right. But, I will be paying you back." Irina nodded her head, insisting Charles follow her. "I never asked, but can we-"

"I asked, they said yes." Charles opened the door for her.

"Thank you- for everything."

"It's not without pleasure." He made her stand by the door, having her placed where the sun made her back swelter, her velvet dress becoming uncomfortable in an instant. He had a quick chat with the cashier man and made them leave as soon as they came in together.

"Are you sure you're ready for this?" He implored.

"I don't think I'm the one you should be asking."

"Why are we here?" questioned Alex. They stood in front of a black mansion. The government car was parked on the gravel driveway, and the mutants stood before the grand house. Surrounded by dark, green trees, the home seemed even darker against the azure sky.

"That's a good question."

At the door, which swung open, was a tall woman. She reached the heavens but her stare made you reach hell. Her hair, darker than the sins the woman could make you commit, reached her shoulders. Her face showed no wrinkles, yet she was still old.