iii. mutation

Charles and Erik played a quiet game of chess in the club seats of the jet

Charles and Erik played a quiet game of chess in the club seats of the jet. They sat silently, thinking of new moves and strategies. Meanwhile, Irina sat at the divan, reading her book she stopped reading eons ago.

She paid no attention to them and distracted herself by wondering if she ever met, or walked past another mutant. She never felt alone, but Irina felt more normal than a rock on a mountain. A new sense of comfort emanating from the knowledge of others like her.

    After a while, Charles broke the stillness, "so, Irina, mind telling me about your mutation?"

    Irina glanced at him and shut her book. She asked, "what do you mean? Aren't you supposed to already know?"

    Whilst they waited for the jet to be prepared, Charles explained his mutation. He could read your mind. Make you see things, turn you blind to objects. The mind was his specialty.

    "I do, Erik does not."

    Shoving the book under her thigh, Irina began, "when I was a baby, my mutation would happen randomly. I'd appear and disappear, or duplicate five of me at a time. My- When I got older, I did not do any of that until I was around eight when I was able to duplicate, then I was able to really control it, or at least try to. My teleportation I did not know I had it until I was 12. But, that was an accident.

    "When I was wrongfully incriminated, that's when I was able to practice and now I am able to use at will, but sometimes it happens without me wanting it to happen."

    Erik hummed. He took a glimpse at the Russian before him. "How does your mutation work?"

    "My duplication is a survival instinct. Even though I do have full control of it, if I'm ever in danger, or in need of anything, I duplicate. They sort of having a mind of their own. They think and talk on their own. But, their actions, that is all me, like they act the way I would. They have to obey everything I say, so when I ask them to do something for me, they sort of blank. It's really funny. They duplicate to look exactly how I do at that moment.

    "They remember whatever I remember. And let's say I had a duplicate back in England right now, they'd be receiving everything at this moment. Visa Versa, whatever they'd be doing, or learning, I'll know too.

    "My teleportation allows me to go anywhere in the world, even though I've never been there. Whenever I do teleport, it leaves this sort of dust-like thing. The dust is always a color that represents my mood. Red is anger, blue is sad, white is calm... etcetera."

    Irina heard a mumble of, "Interesting," under Charles's breath. "Why were you charged with a crime?"

    Trying not to roll her eyes, she hissed, "It was a year after the war and I accidentally talked to a known Russian spy in Russian in America. The officers that were spying on him didn't know I was offering him and his children help, but thought I was another spy and imprisoned me at 14."