iv. russian

RUSSIAN MILITARY RETREAT

Uncomfortable. One word to describe the whole experience. Uncomfortable. Since Irina viewed the jet to take them to Russia, from being in Russia, from being squished between two people who were blind by an imitation of attraction and a brooding man out for revenge.

Irina swore to help defeat Shaw, not be in discomfort at all times.

So, as the three mutants rode in the back of a truck, with a dozen of US soldiers, uncomfortable would be Irina's emotion. The US soldiers kept glancing at her as if they expected her to duplicate and slaughter them all, or kill them and offer their bodies to the Russians. In between the two sides of an invisible war between Russia and the United States of America, Irina would like to be Switzerland.

She never expected arriving in Russia would be so different either. As if new layers of skin made her unaccustomed to her past home. Irina wondered if her heart still beats for the place. Maybe the summer memories tattooed themselves onto her arteries. Or, her veins flooded with relief to be away from her mother's curses. Perhaps both.

A few minutes passed once more before she heard a knock. The echo came from a window that connected the driver's seat to the trunk. The mutants scooted forward on their bench, so they could allow the breach to be opened.

"We got a problem," the driver said.

"What?"

"I'm so sorry," Moira apologized, "this wasn't on the map." Irina leaned her head towards Erik, who sat at the middle of the bench and caught sight of a checkpoint.

"What do you mean you didn't know?" Irina said with a strange calm. Если мы идем в долбаное военное отступление, то, конечно, у них будет блокпост. И, очевидно, его не было бы на гребаной карте. (If we're going to a fucking military retreat, then, of course, they'd have a checkpoint. And obviously, it wouldn't be on the fucking map.)

"Irina," Charles warned, "It's all right. Moira, no matter what happens, just stay calm. I'll take care of this, all right?" Charles shut the window, and when turning to sit normally, he didn't miss the opportunity to send Irina a glare.

The soldiers pulled out their guns, pointing them to the door. Irina tensed up, her fingers gripped the end of her sleeve.

"Easy. Easy. Take it easy chaps." Charles directed as he stood up, placing two fingers at his temple.

Irina stared at the doors, she didn't know what to expect. Something pulled at her heart, a disturbing force in her mind. Her body wanted to duplicate. Не прямо сейчас. (Not right now.)

A man opened the door, they swung open to reveal unseeable soldiers in the back. "Что-нибудь там сзади?" asked an unseen soldier from behind the truck. Anything back there?