v. amusement

Irina felt new

Irina felt new. Her identity. Her personality. All polished. All glorious. New, new, and new. When she put on her dress, its rich material felt foreign to her new skin. Her stilettos walked on gold streets. Her fingers touched divine. Because everything is new to someone who is also alike.

    She felt strange. Mutant was a strange word. Usually heard when an animal has evolved. Never a human. Strange it had to be her who evolved into an engaging creature. Someone who blessed the world with a sight of her for miles. She gave the people the ability to see her everywhere.

    Irina was a human in her old life. Irina was a mutant in this new one.

    She realized this on the way back to the others. She sat in front of Erik as he played chess by himself. He attempted to find new strategies to beat Charles. When Irina offered to play with him, he declined. So, she stuck herself reading the book she read on the first flight she took to Washington D.C.

    "Do you find it strange we're calling ourselves mutants?" Irina continued to read her book as she asked.

    "No. I didn't think about the name. Why?" Erik responded.

    "Mutant. It's a weird word, it is. Makes us sound even more strange."

    "You cannot be surprised." As this, Irina closed her book and set it beside her. "Humans-"

    "Are we not humans?"

    "No, if anything, we're better."

    Irina shifted in her seat. "I can argue with you on that." She said with a smirk.

    "Why would you do that?"

    "I know many people who are far much better than us. I mean, people in history? If not glorified figures then our families."

    "And what do you mean by that?"

    "I think my grandmother is an angel. She deserves far more than what I or anyone can give her. My father was a man who wronged himself, yet I worship him. He taught me, treated me, loved me. I think he is better than me."

    "I suppose you're right." Erik rolled his eyes up to look at Irina as he leaned into his chessboard. Their eyes met, black to blue. "May I ask, why so many questions."

    "I didn't get many answers the previous days or had the ability to ask. I like to keep myself up to date, I suppose."

    "Why are you so willing to give so much information about yourself?" Erik set a chess piece down and leaned back in his seat.

Today, their outfits lacked coordination. He wore a navy turtleneck and a brown, leather jacket. Irina wore another velvet, black dress. The sleeves reached the end of her wrist, and the dress had a squared collar. The dress reached the top of her knees, a slit started at the start of her right thigh. Even though their clothes didn't look alike, they seemed to perfectly blend in with another.