chapter thirty-five

SUNDAY WAS THE worst day of the week, without a doubt

....SUNDAY WAS THE worst day of the week, without a doubt. In fact, it was the day of the week specifically sanctioned for panic. It was your final chance to do that Charms essay that had been taunting you all week or similarly, your first chance to dread the school week ahead.

Jackie was metaphorically on her knees, begging and praying for this horrible day to finally be over. But unfortunately, she had tuned out when Lizzie had attempted to teach her how to say a Hail Mary and she figured God probably wouldn't be too pleased at her last ditch attempts at contacting him in only times of necessity. So alas, it was only seven in the evening and she was still a heathen.

She had foolishly thought that the day couldn't possibly get any worse after this morning's argument with Regulus and then the subsequent depraved kissing. But when she stepped inside the girls shared dorm room and was met with an eery silence, she realized just how wrong she was.

Elizabeth: sweet, vibrant Lizzie was sitting on her perfectly made bed with a tear-stained face and a solemn expression. She bit her nails without even realizing she was doing so, a sign of nervousness that Jackie had seen in the girl before.

"Lizzie, what's wrong?" Jackie immediately when she made her way through the doorway.

Lizzie jumped abruptly and whipped her head around to face Jackie, surprise crossing her face. "Jackie? You're back!"

"Yeah I-" Jackie began before being promptly cut off by Lizzie leaping off the bed and wrapping her in a hug so tight that she felt as though her circulation was being cut off.

Jackie and her friends were many things but they were very rarely huggers. So instantly, she knew that this just wasn't a routine welcome back greeting.

"What's wrong?" Jackie repeated, unable to break away from the blonde's tight grip. "I know you've been crying. What's going on?" She asked adamantly.

"It's Benny." Elizabeth told her in hushed tones, finally pulling away. "She disappeared for days, Jac. I mean, crept out of her bed in the middle of the night without telling anyone. We were all so worried about her."