chapter eighteen

IN THEORY, the Malfoy's New Years Ball could have been a decent evening out

....IN THEORY, the Malfoy's New Years Ball could have been a decent evening out. But the problem with theories is that they are all just ideas waiting for proof. The stuffy attitudes, the ridiculous dresses and the inedible food were all theories that were detestable to Jackie.

After lunch, Figgy had apparated into her room without warning to ready her for the upcoming event, much to Jackie's dismay.

"Merlin Figgy, it's one in the afternoon! If you think it's going to take six hours to make me presentable, I'd rather you just insult me outright." Jackie grumbled as the elf pulled her from the armchair she was reading in and pushed her towards the wide splaying mirrors of her dressing table.

Jackie earned a firm smack to the shoulder for her objections. "Mistress knows Figgy is thinking her to be very beautiful." She corrected. "But Figgy is also good with a Petrifying Charm if Mistress is not sitting still." The elf told her, an evil glint in her eye.

Jackie eyed Figgy with alarm. She really was scary for such a little thing. "I'm going to have to tell Charlotte to stop giving you sugar before noon." She grumbled, sitting down begrudgingly and allowing the elf to get to work.

"Figgy is her own elf." She shrugged, taking hold of Jackie's head and twisting in different directions as she appraised the girl in the mirror.

When she was done, Jackie rubbed her now aching neck and glared at the elf in the mirror. Figgy looked back at her with a mock innocent smile as she tried to hide her amusement.