chapter eight

JACKIE KNEW AS soon as her owl swooped in with a letter for her on Friday morning at breakfast that something was amiss

....JACKIE KNEW AS soon as her owl swooped in with a letter for her on Friday morning at breakfast that something was amiss. Jackie never received letters from her father and yet here was an envelope sitting next to her plate with her family's coat of arms on the seal.

She could feel the eyes of the other girls on her and she knew if she looked up, she would see looks of concern etched on their face. They knew too how little Jackie liked her father. She could no longer take the wait and ripped open the letter, her eyes dancing over the words written there.

"Dear Ms. Jacqueline Harmon,

It has come to my attention that you will soon become of age and only have a few years remaining at Hogwarts. In order to debut my daughter into society, she will need to be matched with a suitably bred prospect. I have received several letters from Walburga Black wishing to have you betrothed to her youngest son, Regulus.

Although the Blacks have somewhat fallen from their grace, they are still a member of the Sacred Twenty-Eight and I believe such a match will prove beneficial to our family's name. Your engagement will be announced officially at the end of the school year. You may express your gratitude to me for organizing such a match during Christmas Break.

Jacqueline, I expect you to behave in the manner befitting a pureblood bride. You will serve and honor your husband as your mother and grandmothers before you have done. If I receive correspondence disputing your ability to follow such behaviors, then I will find myself having to make more unpleasant arrangements regarding a wedding partner. Heed my words.

Regards,

Sir. Alistair Harmon."

The first emotion that she felt was disbelief and then soon after, viciously unbridled rage. In fact, Jackie couldn't remember having ever been angrier in her life. So much that she took it out on the only person that she could.

"Black. Come with me. Now." she ordered after having marched down the aisle beside the Slytherin table to where he sat.

"Well isn't someone eager?" taunted Malfoy from his seat, earning a few chuckles from his little gang of friends. Regulus stayed silent.